Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Caption This #108737

    “I do NOT eat too much.”

    “Yes you do. Your belly is sticking out.”

    “Is not.”

    “Is too”

    “not”

    “too”

    in reply to: What is your other job (if you have one) besides harping? #108638

    I am an organist and a singer

    in reply to: Has anyone tested the new Harpo trolley? #75134

    If I were moving my harp every week, I’d find a way to get this cart, but omg….$895 + $35 shipping? YEEEEEEKS!!!!!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Different harp comparisons? #75162

    I can think of a few professional harpists who would so agree with you Jennifer. Amen!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Peace, Pease by Rick and Sylvia Powell #151080

    Wow! I totally forgot about this piece. I did it many years ago with a high school “ya’all come” choir. 🙂 I bet it really sounds nice with harp.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: What do you all use for harp seats? #74240

    I see nothing wrong with a back on a bench either. When you play long gigs it’s rather nice for short spurts between numbers to rest your back. It’s also healthy. Not everyone plans on being on stage anyhow. Also that expensive heavy bench is a big pain to even move around the music room at home. No thanks!

    Anita is right. You can lower the front legs if you are outside and on an incline….even a small one makes a difference, and I did just that when I played outside for 4 weekends. It worked wonderfully well.

    I’ve tried several different types of benches, and my favorite personally is the Adjustrite.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp bench and Stand #75175
    in reply to: A Surprisingly Nice Rehearsal….. #108847

    taking = taken…..I wish there was an edit feature…..

    in reply to: A Surprisingly Nice Rehearsal….. #108846

    Thanks everyone. The harp is a wonderful thing. I remember in college we sang Rutter’s “Dancing Day” with a harp, and I was totally taking away….had a hard time concentrating myself between the harp and Old St. Mary’s in Greektown (Detroit). 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Harp bench and Stand #75172

    The artist bench is really so flimsy, isn’t it? I sit on one at the university where I take my lessons and it’s constantly requiring tightening of the nuts and wobbling all over the place, and it’s only 3 years old. Way overpriced for what they are selling.

    I can’t really recommend a “bench” per se as I don’t sit on a bench…..except a very expensive adjustable piano bench at our piano, but that thing weighs a ton. Therein lies the problem, I believe. The lighter-weight benches are so often not high quality, and the well-made, more expensive benches weigh so much. I love the Concert chair at the harp, but it’s something like $600. That isn’t going to happen here. I ended up getting two Adjustrite chairs from Sylvia Woods Harp Center. The price was right….they are adjustable and easy to transport, and I have one at both of my harps. It works wonderfully well and is a nice, black, smallish professional looking item. I need the back on there as when I am doing long practice sessions, it’s nice to lean back when I can (when I’m not playing of course) to rest a bit.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Scales and arpeggios #82575

    Absolutely agree with you Fearghal on the Pozzoli. Good for learning consistent closing, balance, placing….all the good basics that so many never get. Plus I like doing them.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Focus when performing #151108

    One thing I found from my teacher, that really stops “the voice inside my head” is to take a really bright sticky note that is very obvious. Write one word on it that you want the feeling of the music to be, stick it on the music at the beginning. Whether you are using scores or not when you perform, you have to do this when you practice with the score. You look at that word….then you prepare to play, but before you start, you think only of that one word and then don’t let the voices come in. If they try to, just keep thinking of the word.

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159616

    Liam, personally I find much more stability and warmer tone to think more about index down than thinking of thumbs up. Your index finger will give you a lot of stability on the strings if you keep it aimed downward.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159614

    She doesn’t sound as good as she could if she had a decent technique. Her hands look like claws instead of nicely relaxed and closing to the palm.

    in reply to: piano music on harp #151116

    “Just this week, I had the desire to jump inside my piano and play it like a harp.”

    Christian!! HAHAHAHAHAHA…..this cracks me up, and it reminds me of last year’s Christmas concert. I teach in a public middle school and have a large middle school choir. I was at the piano at the start of the concert. I was trying to make sure I had everything ready to go….checking the music, the page turn, all that stuff…..and I looked down at my pedals to make sure they were set correctly for the key…..um…..OOOOOOOOOOPS…..duh. That was when I realized that finally….FINALLY….I was a real harpist.

    Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 717 total)