Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Do these cars fit harps? #151130

    Not on the column….on an angle on it’s side with lots and lots and lots of padding all around. I would like to load it flat. A Taurus

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159532

    Tony, I always like your posts and they are always fair, but I will disagree with you on one thing. Yes, it’s fine not to take lessons on the harp if that’s what you must do, but I will say that you can almost

    in reply to: 1st octave gut strings #75112

    I had Bow brand on my harp once….only once. I really dislike them. I know a lot of people really like them, but on my Camac Athena they do not sound nearly as resonant and nice as Vanderbilts or Camacs. I use Pirastro at the top two octaves (nylons).

    Briggs

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159526

    Michael, don’t do that. There are teachers who teach online, and from all I understand they are quite good. If you have access to the internet you can download Skype for free and have your lessons that way.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159523

    If I had a harp setting around in front of me, I know I couldn’t resist it, but you have to know that you are most likely going to get into some pretty bad habits. The sooner you can get a teacher, the better, in my opinion.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Things to Be Thankful For #108857

    Thanks for the happy birthday, Karen. It was a great day!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159521

    As both a teacher and a music student, I think the worst thing anyone can do is study an instrument without a teacher — especially the harp. There are all sorts of bad habits one can get into. I don’t care what method one is using, or how musically educated one is. A new instrument has it’s own idiosyncracies when it comes to technique and must be approached as it’s own entity with it’s own special neuromuscular approach by the player. A good teacher needs to be there to listen and watch and correct constantly. Sure, you can do it from a book, but it would be a very very rare instance when a book and a video could take the place of a good teacher. A good harp technique takes time and study and the eyes and ears of a well-trained harpist in real time. I will never be convinced otherwise, and my opinion is always backed up when I am listening and watching. For someone who just wants to play and is satisfied with less than their best efforts and doesn’t want to move forward quickly or teach others eventually…..fine. Otherwise, get a good teacher!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: What music to buy? #159741

    “Falling Snow” by Meg Robinson

    “Angel’s Hymn” by Rhett Barnwell

    Both Christmas books by Darhon Rees-Rohrbacher

    Deborah Friou’s early music book.

    “The Three Ravens” book

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Do these cars fit harps? #151125

    Vince, I’m almost 6′ tall and put my concert grand Athena with extended soundboard, music stand, chair, bag of music, and once an additional Webster Cecelia harp into my Element. It was not a tight squeeze the way I am loading. I load it on an angle with the front passenger seat moved all the way forward, but mine does not have to go forward more than normal. I specifically bought this car to tote my Camac, and I’m very very happy with it.

    To the original poster, the CRV will not fit a concert grand. We checked that out.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string #151214

    Standard gig rep for some people you mean…..

    in reply to: Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string #151211

    Laura, my opinion is “Fine, then hire a pianist, or point me to the piano, but I ain’t doin’ that on the harp. No way.”

    in reply to: Obligatory Lesson Policy – Has anyone heard of this practice? #84128

    Can’t help but make a comparison here. My teacher is one of the best musicians I have ever known, studied at I.U. with McDonald, U of Mich. and in Paris with Borot. She understands music inside out and has played all over the world. She is also a wonderful teacher. I consider myself so lucky to study with her. Twice each year she runs a “harp class” for all her students which is really like a mini concert. We each play something we can play well that we’ve worked on with her. Friends and family are there as audience. When I tried to pay my usual lesson fee for this because it falls when my lesson normally falls, and she is spending her time, energy and expertise to sponsor it, she wouldn’t take it. What a contrast, huh? I think this might say something about the abilities of the woman in question who is stomping her little harpie

    in reply to: Obligatory Lesson Policy – Has anyone heard of this practice? #84841

    Can’t help but make a comparison here. My teacher is one of the best musicians I have ever known, studied at I.U. with McDonald, U of Mich. and in Paris with Borot. She understands music inside out and has played all over the world. She is also a wonderful teacher. I consider myself so lucky to study with her. Twice each year she runs a “harp class” for all her students which is really like a mini concert. We each play something we can play well that we’ve worked on with her. Friends and family are there as audience. When I tried to pay my usual lesson fee for this because it falls when my lesson normally falls, and she is spending her time, energy and expertise to sponsor it, she wouldn’t take it. What a contrast, huh? I think this might say something about the abilities of the woman in question who is stomping her little harpie

    in reply to: Obligatory Lesson Policy – Has anyone heard of this practice? #85351

    Can’t help but make a comparison here. My teacher is one of the best musicians I have ever known, studied at I.U. with McDonald, U of Mich. and in Paris with Borot. She understands music inside out and has played all over the world. She is also a wonderful teacher. I consider myself so lucky to study with her. Twice each year she runs a “harp class” for all her students which is really like a mini concert. We each play something we can play well that we’ve worked on with her. Friends and family are there as audience. When I tried to pay my usual lesson fee for this because it falls when my lesson normally falls, and she is spending her time, energy and expertise to sponsor it, she wouldn’t take it. What a contrast, huh? I think this might say something about the abilities of the woman in question who is stomping her little harpie

    in reply to: Moonlight Sonata and Air on the G string #151209

    As a pianist first, the last thing I want to do is play that Beethoven movement on the harp. To me it’s really a yucky thing….and so overdone. The Air for the G String is beautiful in it’s original creation. I wouldn’t want to hear it on the harp. Just me….

    Briggsie

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 717 total)