harpcolumn

A Surprisingly Nice Rehearsal…..

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break A Surprisingly Nice Rehearsal…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I teach music in public schools. Part of my day is spent with a middle school choir made up of 7th and 8th graders. I have 48 of them in that class, and since I am a singer, I’m pretty concerned with vocal quality. They start sounding so good around this time of year. We are preparing our Christmas concert and are working on a simple little piece called “Candle for Peace.” It has a medieval flavor, though it was recently written, and it has the same chordal structure as “Masters In This Hall,” which we are opening with, complete with sistrum and drum.

“Candle for Peace” will be our last piece. The kids practiced it today with their

Karen Johns
    Participant

That is a sweet and very

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Wonderful! Some of my favorite moments in life were when a group of people I was playing with finally “came together” into a single performing unit. It can be breathtaking, can’t it?

alice-freeman
    Spectator

ASL is American Sign Language for the deaf. It is truly beautiful when someone signs as people are singing.

— Alice in windy Wyoming

Minnesota Harpist
    Participant

You sent chills up my spine.

gorman-jones
    Participant

How fortunate for your students that you are so creative and that you are exposing them to the harp. I wish I had met the harp earlier in life.

Kudos for what you’re doing.

Thanks everyone. The harp is a wonderful thing. I remember in college we sang Rutter’s “Dancing Day” with a harp, and I was totally taking away….had a hard time concentrating myself between the harp and Old St. Mary’s in Greektown (Detroit). 🙂

Briggsie

taking = taken…..I wish there was an edit feature…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.