harpcolumn

My ‘dream’ harp – or is it a harp mare?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break My ‘dream’ harp – or is it a harp mare?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    michael-rockowitz
    Participant

I’ve also struggled with craigslist harps.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Exactly what I meant Barbara. That does look like a big split.

deb-l
    Participant

Michael, thank you very much for your thoughts.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Wood glue might be an easy fix here. If you can squirt a good layer in between the split and clamp it overnight, you might be in luck for a while longer. It is worth a try. And it is the most cost-efficient method that I would use myself if I were to fortify the neck of this harp. Where there is a will, there is a way…

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

that’s a good idea Karen.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’d give Mr. Pratt a call and see if he has anything to suggest, too.

I had to have a similar fix on my Serenade (the poor thing has been knocked around a lot).

barbara-low
    Participant

Yes, structural epoxy would be my of choice to bond the wood together.

barbara-low
    Participant

The knee block takes a lot of stress and a crack threre would be of concern. It should be looked at by someone who is familiar with structural repairs.

I’m pretty sure the block of wood under the column is supposed to be there and is not a repair.

Before you start stringing the harp with your new strings, be sure they will be long enough for your Pratt. Lever harps have different vibrating lengths and it’s no fun to find out your new string isn’t going to be long enough.

The gap between the knee block and body will probably lessen when the harp is fully strung, and I’m glad you took the pressure off the strings that are currently on the harp. It’s a good idea not to stress the board unevenly. If there’s any bellying, it will appear when all the strings are on and pulled to pitch.

PS: There are arms in the mechanism of a pedal harp, but none on a lever harp. I think the “arm” you are referring to is called the neck. The neck is the curvy part where the tuning pins are.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Basic parts of the harp:

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Jenn, that’s hopeful!

Barb and Barbara, thanks for explaining the different parts of the harp.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks for telling me the type of epoxy to use, I went to hardware stores but they didn’t have it, found it online, ConServ 600 STRUCTURAL EPOXY REPAIR.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Deb, I really, really, really wouldn’t do this without talking to someone first.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Barb, I am planning on talking to Mr Pratt and the tech at Harp Connection Monday.

deb-l
    Participant

I spoke to Mr Pratt and he had a chance to look at the pictures.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies