harpcolumn

Hip pain

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Yoneji
    Participant

Have any of you experienced hip pain that you think might be associated with sitting at the harp? I’m trying to figure out why my hips have been hurting. It may just be the onset of arthritis – I’m 57 – but I’m wondering if it’s from sitting at the harp.

Don’t you get it from any sitting? I do.

kay-lister

Jennifer,

Is you’re stool at the correct height?

Jennifer Yoneji
    Participant

Hi Saul, I do now, but I’m wondering if it’s because of sitting at the harp. Maybe it’s just arthritis. I’m also a runner, but haven’t had problems until about 6 months ago.

Jennifer Yoneji
    Participant

Yes, Kay. As far as I know. I’ve played for about 11 years, now, and the pain didn’t start until about 6 months ago.

barbara-low
    Participant

I have pain along my lumbar – the lower portion of the spine below the waist. It doesn’t come from harp playing, but rather from scoliosis, degenerative disc disease and arthritis. The pain can radiate to the hips too. For harp playing, the most comfortable chair for me turned out to be a drummers throne by TAMA, the Ergo Rider. I don’t use it just for harp playing; it really is comfortable.

Hope you find relief from the pain.

lisa-fenwick
    Participant

Jennifer, I think you should explore the height you are sitting as someone else suggested. A few years ago I often had hip pain after practice. I explored height I was sitting at the time and also began taking more of the weight of harp on my right knee. I also had back and right shoulder pain at that time and that is pretty much gone as well as hip pain.

I’m also 57 and definitely have hip pain if I sit too long.

barbara-low
    Participant

Yes, the Tush-Cush is wonderful. I’ve taken it with me to restaurants and theatres, and when I’m using someone else’s harp bench.

Jennifer Yoneji
    Participant

Thank you very much for your input. I think I’ll look for a Cush-Tush. Do you find that it helps when you’re riding in a car? Sometimes, it’s pretty hard to walk after I’ve been riding in the car for awhile.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies