barbara-kraichy–2

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Career of a Professional Harpist #144852
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    in reply to: effect of economy on harp business #147574
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    I have noticed a drop the last couple of years and people are expecting harpists to play for very little. (Like one woman wanted two hours of harp music for $75.00!) It’s unbelievable. Unfortunately we have competition from D.J’s , students, and other instruments that don’t have the schlepping we harpists have. If you want to have alot of work, it seems you have to drop your prices, or hold out for high end clients. They are out there, but even the wealthiest are seeking a bargain and “Joe Public” doesn’t seem to care about quality. It’s the all mighty dollar that counts.

    in reply to: gig for non- profit organization #147321
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    I agree with Jerusha and Alice. Unless there is a non-profit organization that you personally feel you want to support, turn them down. I’m constantly getting calls from non-profits for a “freebie”

    in reply to: the clavichord and the harp #147621
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant
    Small volume and limited range are certainly good reasons why the clavichord never became a concert instrument. But I am intrigued by how much it has in common with the
    in reply to: Mozart and the harp of his time #147632
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant
    I have appreciated and enjoyed all the replies to this question. My observation is that despite the
    in reply to: the clavichord and the harp #147618
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    Good thoughts, Saul. Your last sentence is especially intriguing. We are playing one of Bochsa’s Nocturnes written with Kreutzer in mind. It is like Beethoven/Mendelssohn/Schumann! Do you know of any music by Marin? Who would you nominate for the harp research? Anyone out there with time and money?

    in reply to: Mozart and the harp of his time #147626
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant
    I saw
    in reply to: Mozart and the harp of his time #147625
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    Paul, it is great to know of those scattered around the country that are maintaining and promoting the early harp. Our Duo is not prepared to actually play any of them, as that would require a new side to my harp technique, and I am so far resisting Ron’s urging even to learn the lever harp (he is resisting my urging him to learn to play the harp at all). A relatively local professional harpist, Sue Carole DeVale, in the Tampa area, specializes in early harps but has not been able to keep

    in reply to: Catching some “Zzzzzs” #105534
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    My violinist duo partner, Ron Erickson and I

    in reply to: transcribing the harp for classical-period music #147636
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    Yes, but my question was if that was a major reason composers avoided it (I should correct my subject title to: Transcribing classical-period music for the modern harp).

    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant
    Salzedo is right about “evens out.” My editor Ron Erickson, an orchestra violinist,
    in reply to: Do you remember . . .? #105760
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    I remember my first solo performance with Orchestra. I was in 7th grade and wearing high heels for the first time. I finished playing Alberstotter’s Concert Ballade with the orchestra and was stepping down the stage stairs in front of the audience when my heel slipped and I went bumpity Bump on my butt down the stairs. Talk about being embarrassed

    in reply to: What’s on your music stand? Spring 2011 #105875
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    Isn’t anyone into Patriotic Music? It seems on the 10th anniversary of 9/11

    in reply to: favorite warm-ups #147731
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    I use scales both hands doubled. Then in harmony starting out two notes with the right hand then joining in with the left hand. I start the scales in c and then do them through the various keys. c, g, d etc. (circle of fifths) up and down. Next I do a few four finger chords broken. You don’t need music to do that and it’s a quick and efficient way of warming up.

    in reply to: violin and harp weddings #147780
    barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

    I work regularly with a vioinist as a duo.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)