harpcolumn

What are the most harps that a symphony composer wrote for?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists What are the most harps that a symphony composer wrote for?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    harp guy
    Participant

I once performed a piece by Eric Whitacre (not quite a symphonist but still a fantastic composer) who asked for ‘as many harps as you can get on stage.’ The harp part was impossible. I had to do a reduction. Even the pianist (who doubled the part) had to reduce it because the chords were so big.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Years ago, we did Symphonie Fantastique with 4 harps (Boston Philharmonic). The conductor, Benjamin Zander, told me he wished he could hire ten! It was a great sound; very thunderous on the descending scales.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I believe there are also six or seven harps called for in the Berlioz opera “Les Troyens.”

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hello Friends,
    I know that Saint-Saens has composed a piece for 25 harps and orchestra. I don’t know the name of this piece, but it is an original piece for 25 harps. For more than 20 years I’m searching for this piece. As you could comprehend, this piece may not be presented without a super-big effort. I hope someone could help me to identify this piece. If anyone of you has already got any information on this piece, please, post here.
    Thank you.
    IURI.

Dear Friends,
    I have just discovered that the Saint-Saens’ piece is named ‘Déjanire’: in the Wikipedia’s text, I could read that there was a version with 18 harps, but, as I said, many years ago, I received the information on 25 harps. If anyone could help me in informing (in details) about that piece, I would be very grateful.
    Thank you.
    IURI.

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant
    Salzedo is right about “evens out.” My editor Ron Erickson, an orchestra violinist,

If there is one part for multiple harps, then it is meant to be a choir of harps, all on the same part.

I recall a Soviet work, perhaps a cantata in memory of Stalin that has six harps in it, but I haven’t found a listing yet. Perhaps Clint knows what I am thinking of.

Never mind, I found it:

Prokofiev’s Ode to the End of the War:

Orchestration: 2 flutes, piccolo, 2 oboes, english horn, 2 clarinets, E-flat clarinet, bass clarinet, 3 saxophones, 2 bassoons, contrabassoon, 6 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, 3 tubas, timpani, percussion (tam-tam, tubular bells, snare drum, bass drum, triangle, cymbals, xylophone), 8 harps, 4 pianos, and 8 double basses.

bob-litterell
    Participant

Khachaturian wrote a work called Ode to Joy for mezzo-soprano solo, 24-40 solo violins in unison, 6-10 harps (2 separate parts) chorus and orchestra. I have several recordings of this beautiful work and have had the score for many years. It was published in Moscow in 1964.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics