barbara-fackler

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Wedding Policy for Friends? #151271
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    If the value of your services is greater than what you’d spend on a wedding gift, then the gift of your services is out of line. If you’re comfortable with that, then tell them, just as you would anyone else, the cost. I’ve always done with with friends and it’s never been a problem.

    in reply to: Thoughts on harp/piano duos and harp/organ duos #151301
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Elena,

    I’ve worked many times with an organist and I can recommend some great repertoire if you’re interested.

    Barb

    in reply to: Outdoor Event – how cold is too cold? #151289
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Meg, the idea of having the recording of the music in case it’s too cold is brilliant. I had 4 people this year schedule outdoor events in October. I’ve decided to call and remind them of their contractual agreement. I reserve the right to refuse to perform outdoors below 60º and used it this year. It’s very hard, in the moment to tell a bride who already has everything set up that I won’t go outdoors for her. It’s much easier to remind them ahead of time. I think many don’t read everything on the contract and are truly taken by surprize.

    in reply to: Blue harp in orchestra? #151246
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    There’s a lot being said here about the distractions which reminds me of a regional orchestra that I played with for many years. At one point the board of directors sent out an edict that the men’s ties had to be black because someone found that the different colors of ties on the Sunday afternoon concerts was distracting to the audience. It’s amazing what people will start to complain about, isn’t it? What probably matters more than what other harpists think or “most audiences” is what orchestra management thinks. It’s a lot of money to spend on an instrument that might encourage the manager to call someone else next time.

    in reply to: Music for 22 strings #159906
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    My arrangements for harp almost always include a version for harps of this size. You’ll find the on line catalog at http://hornandharp.com/publications/. There are only a few that didn’t work for both G-g and C-c. The catalog should list each clearly. If you have questions about any, let me know.

    in reply to: Large Chamber Works with Harp #151698
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on Greensleeves

    in reply to: “Air on a G String” by Bach #151942
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    email me at harpist@hornandharp.com.

    I’ll send you one to try.

    Barb

    in reply to: Planets for one harp #150938
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    I saw a small college performance of this. They left the harp out completely in that movement. That way, the color doesn’t change when the 2nd part is left out. I’ve also seen a synth used for the “missing harp” part. It’s really hard to balance the dynamics that way.

    in reply to: Diebel Brass and Harp #152186
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Suzanne Davids worked with Wendel Diebel and performed the bagatelles. She’d know the answer to your question.

    in reply to: Ordering Unusual Music #152192
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Kelly Yousoufian of Michigan Harp Center has been willing to find music for us that’s published in Europe. She’s been able to track down some specific pieces for us. You might try her.

    in reply to: avant garde technic – intro book available? #85870
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Anne,

    If you don’t like atonal music, try some of Bernard Andrés’ music. He uses special effects in interesting ways while remaining tonal and melodic. His use of effects feel more naturally incorporated into the music as part of the music than an effect stuck there for the sake of using it. His more advanced music includes more of the effects found in the Andrés Notation Guide and you might like them. There’s a CD of his music that would give you a good idea of the music before you buy the sheet music if you aren’t sure.

    in reply to: Groundfloor music book for adult #86239
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    Kay,

    I’ve got some materials that I use with adult students like the one you describe.

    in reply to: Favorite Christmas Harp Music #161596
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    There’s a tutorial on reading lead sheets on my website that might help you get started with ideas. Look at http://www.hornandharp.com/publications/tutorial.html. There are several resources there including two tutorials, one for Three Christmas Lullabies and another that works with the Anniversary Song.

    Barbara

    in reply to: music for Bochsa-Andante sostenuto #162219
    barbara-fackler
    Participant

    The music may be purchased from http://www.hornandharp.com/publications/hornharp.html.

    Barbara Fackler

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)