harpcolumn

Large Chamber Works with Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Large Chamber Works with Harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vince-pierce
    Participant

I’m looking for an interesting piece to play with a chamber ensemble for a friend’s conducting recital. I’m not thinking of a solo piece such as Introduction and Allegro (or anything that difficult), but something for a group of 5-20 players where the harp co contributes equally to the ensemble, and that requires a conductor and is interesting. Something 20th century would be ideal. The only pieces I found are the Sextuor Mystique by Villa-Lobos and a couple pieces by George Crumb. I would be really interested to know what else is out there. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Vince

barbara-fackler
    Participant

Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on Greensleeves

mr-s

Hi Vince, there is a piece maybe not popular in USA and Europe, septet or a piece for 7 instruments named Anna Bolein by Michael Glinka , its a very beautiful piece, there is Piano,Harp,Horn,Basson,Cello,violin,viola. my teacher did record it in St petersburg Russia, and attended her playing in her concerts, and have the Same record by X.Erdeli……………………………………………………………………..

Hi Vince,

These ensembles may be too big, but you might consider…

– Kurt Weill – Kleine Dreigroschenmusik/Little Threepenny Music

– Paul Hindemith – Concert Music for Piano, Brass and Two Harps

– Ralph Vaughan Williams – Serenade to Music (non-choral version)

– Duke Ellington – Night Creature

Julie in Atlanta

louise-vickerman
    Participant

If you can get a good soprano, the “Folk Songs” by Luciano Berio for voice & seven instruments (written 1964) come to mind. It is a setting of 11 folk songs which he wrote for his wife Cathy Berberian.

zoraida-avila
    Participant

There are many Quintettes by Villa-Lobos, Ropartz, Vincent D’Indy, Roussell, Malipiero, Jean Cras, Jean Françaix….
    Manuel de Falla’s Psyché (+voice), Ginastera’s Cantos de Tucuman (+voice)

The Glinka’s work which Mr Sara said is wonderful!
    Hope it helps you.
    Zoraida

Camilla Pay

The Bax Nonet is a lovely piece, with a nice harp part, I haven’t played it for ages, I think it’s string quartet, harp, flute, oboe, clarinet & bassoon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.