harpcolumn

Blue harp in orchestra?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Blue harp in orchestra?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I think colored harps are tasteless, and the coloring must affect the sound, being an additional layer that maybe equivalent to polyurethane in being absorptive of sound, or inhibiting its transmission. The Salzedo model was specifically designed by a renowned fine artist with Salzedo to look as it does. I don’t think anyone should ask to alter that design at all. I think color is a distraction. I think we should all be more respectful. If a new harp is designed to come in stripes and all colors, then that is suitable to that model, if it works esthetically. If you’re playing commercial music like rock and roll, it doesn’t really matter. What would a blue piano be like?

Instruments are naturally finished to call attention their wooden nature, which is essential to musical expression. A man and his hand-made instrument making hand-produced music is what it is all about. What you can do with your hands and wood. Even a black finish is somewhat of a departure from that, unless you have a solid ebony instrument. Black is a formal color, and the most unobtrusive, so it is acceptable.

Electrified instruments are no longer natural in that way of thinking, so do what you will with them. They are about artificiality.

barbara-fackler
    Participant

There’s a lot being said here about the distractions which reminds me of a regional orchestra that I played with for many years. At one point the board of directors sent out an edict that the men’s ties had to be black because someone found that the different colors of ties on the Sunday afternoon concerts was distracting to the audience. It’s amazing what people will start to complain about, isn’t it? What probably matters more than what other harpists think or “most audiences” is what orchestra management thinks. It’s a lot of money to spend on an instrument that might encourage the manager to call someone else next time.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Sid, if your harp is blue, and the orchestra management doesn’t want it, and there are other harpists around, then let them ask others who have harps of the colour that they want.

I think that is asking for trouble. The management can say if a blue harp is inappropriate, if you have another option.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.