harpcolumn

Stupid Mistake Help?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Stupid Mistake Help?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I’m very fond of “Harps and Harpists” by Roslyn Rensch, and when I bought my copy I made sure that I bought the most recent edition.

Since I am such a fan, I decided to buy Dr. Rensch’s books, and attempted to do so via one of the big online dealers.

Somehow I mixed up the titles of the big book of pictures (STILL can’t think of the title unless I see it), and ordered a 1969 edition copy of “Harps and Harpists”.

Although I was plenty annoyed with myself, having spent within a dollar’s difference on each of the books, I thought my teacher would enjoy the gift of the older edition.

Yesterday when it came, it turned out to be a library throw-away with a faded orangey cover that smelled like a dismal old poorly ventilated library. I would never give it to my teacher as a

If it was an online dealer, such as amazon.com, I would contact

customer service. Apparently, they did not advertise it as a used

library copy. Sorry this happened!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>d I fired off an email to the seller informing him of my intention never to buy from him again,

It might have been more productive to ask about how to return it, but too late now. Most online booksellers have pretty generous return policies, especially if you are buying from someplace like alibris or abe.

If you bought from amazon marketplace, you should know that if the price says “x number of used and new from $xx.xx,” that almost always means that most of what’s there is going to be used. Don’t buy from amazon unless you see “sold by and shipped from amazon.com” or you know who the third-part seller is, since amazon marketplace gives you less recourse than anywhere except maybe ebay.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

BTW, that’s not an out of line price for that book in that condition. You might be able to recoup some of your loss by reselling it to a dealer, although of course prices are always a lot less when they are buying.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Or you could donate it to a library and take the tax deduction.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, I got mentioned in the new one, but apart from chronology, I’m not sure how much was added. The historical parts are in some ways the best. It definitely should have said ex-library edition when you ordered it.

unknown-user
    Participant

The new edition is really beautiful, and your “mention” is very nice. It is

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.