barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Lights for harp and music #70420
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I have a mighty bright orchestra light and it gives plenty of light to see the levers and strings, especially since the gooseneck is such that it has to be positioned pretty high.

    Are you saying yours doesn’t? Have you tried new batteries (the ones that come with it aren’t the best)?

    in reply to: Harp Insurance #147140
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I totally agree with you, Carl. I’ve been approached several times over the years by homeowner’s policy adjusters trying to get me to assess harps that have had claims put in. I know enough to say I’m not competent, but there’s no guarantee that someone else won’t say, “Sure, I can do that” when they really have no clue.

    in reply to: iPhone app for an electronic tuner?? #147061
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, with something like the little cable from Peterson they work fine.

    in reply to: iPhone app for an electronic tuner?? #147054
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Cleartune or iStrobosoft.

    in reply to: Beginner Christmas music for harp and violin #156713
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Patricia Jaeger’s 20 Christmas Carols, arranged for harp and from one treble instrument up to a string quartet, suitable for either lever or pedal harp:

    http://us.harp.com/info/products/pact_show/id_19397507/

    in reply to: Christmas arrangements for contralto and harp? #147126
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > You may first need to have scanned the work in

    While musical OCR is getting better, it’s still usually just as quick to type it in yourself as to make all the necessary corrections after scanning.

    I don’t know of any computer based music program (except some of the free/very cheap ones) that doesn’t transpose.

    in reply to: The most fantastic thing coming up for auction… #105079
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yeah, I think all the toys in that scene would have kept me from sleeping in the same room with any of them. They’re all vaguely sinister if you really look at them.

    in reply to: The most fantastic thing coming up for auction… #105076
    barbara-brundage
    Participant
    in reply to: The most fantastic thing coming up for auction… #105075
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    You can see one in operation, only in much better condition (well, it was 60 years ago) in the scene in “Scrooge” with Alastair Sim where Tiny Tim is looking at the musical toys in the window of a toy shop.

    in reply to: hip replacement #146515
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’m not sure what you’re asking. If you mean do professional harpists have hip replacements at higher than average rates, based on my own experience I would say no.

    Of all the harpists I know, I know one who had both hips done, and one who had her knees done, but in neither case did their doctors think that playing/moving the harp had anything to do with it. Both had other, clearer causes.

    If you mean what effect does a hip replacement on playing, in the case of the harpist I mentioned, he was able to continue playing, but strictly forbidden to move a harp anymore after the first hip replacement was done.

    in reply to: Laura Erb #147201
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Contact her daughter, Laura Lou Roth (also a harpist), in Naples, FL:

    http://www.paradisecoast.com/wedding/services/moreinfo.php?ID=10624&detail=wedsrv

    in reply to: iPad for harpists #69747
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, I have unrealbook, too. Personally I just find the way forScore is set up works much better for me, but unrealbook has its fans, too.

    I don’t really use the notations features in forScore that much. I have trouble getting things positioned exactly where I want them, but if you want to try I would consider creating stamps for the chords you use most often, or get a stylus and just write them in. It does take a lot of practice to write legibly with a capacitive stylus, though.

    in reply to: unsung youtube heroes #105188
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Deb, that’s Sam Karlinski. 🙂

    in reply to: Harp Insurance #147137
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    State Farm would not give me professional coverage Steven. Are you saying that you were able to get that? I could get a rider for the harp as long it never left the house or generated income, but that was all.

    in reply to: Harp Insurance #147131
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Clarion also used to offer instrument insurance. I don’t know anything about their current policies, but ignore the ‘under construction’ thing on their website and just call them for details.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 1,501 total)