harpcolumn

Lights for harp and music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lights for harp and music

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    j-valentine
    Participant

I am going to start playing soon in church. I went to practice today but I could not see my strings. The church is a contemporary church with a stage. There are only stage can spotlights. When they are on, the strings glisten so much that I can’t see them. We tried several ways and different lights. The keyboard player has a music light so I bought a Mighty Bright LED Orchestra Light for the music stand but didn’t think about the strings. I am just a beginner with a Dusty Ravenna 34.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much, you all have been so helpful with my questions.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I have a mighty bright orchestra light and it gives plenty of light to see the levers and strings, especially since the gooseneck is such that it has to be positioned pretty high.

Are you saying yours doesn’t? Have you tried new batteries (the ones that come with it aren’t the best)?

j-valentine
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try new batteries. I usually plug it in at home and today was the first day I used it with the batteries that came with it.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Hi Julie,

I was

barbara-brundage
    Participant

If you’ve been using it with the electrical adapter there’s something special you need to do before it will work right with batteries again, but I forget what. Check their website if you didn’t save the little leaflet that came with it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, I remember now–you need to remove the batteries for a while to let it reset the power level it expects.

Cheryl Z.
    Participant

Correction for Peg 28 light.

Stephen Conor
    Participant

I never tried lights when I play harp on any stage. But I guess I’ll need to think about having one since I too soon will occasionally play in our church too. I am not a beginner but I seldom think about this stuff when I took harp lessons back then. Good thing I read this. Thanks.

Sylvia
    Participant

Is your Mighty Bright a single light or the kind with two lights, each on a separate gooseneck?

Elizabeth L
    Participant

I’m wondering the same thing.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’m not sure which MIghty Bright you’re asking about, but the Orchestra light has a bar of LEDs that’s about 8″ wide, so yes, it lights up more than a single page.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Maybe this will help. This thread isn’t about the book light or the duo, but about this light:

It’s as big as any old-style tube bulb stand light.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

What about a floor lamp positioned behind the harp and to the right? That would throw more side-light onto the strings. You would also want the clip-on stand-light for the music. When I play in an orchestra pit, I can always see better if there are other musicians’ stands to my right, since their stand lamps help illuminate my strings.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’ve had the lotus light for years and I have to say it’s nowhere near as bright as the Mighty Bright light and doesn’t last as long without a recharge, although I do like the way it fits in the bag for the anderson stand. Love their stands, don’t think much of their light.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies