barbara-brundage

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,501 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155912
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >hink of windows computers that pop up annoying boxes to “update java” or “do you want to restart” *on top* of what you were doing (I know ipads aren’t windows).

    In more than two years of heavy use I have never seen such a warning, ever. It is possible to crash an app, but they are totally sandboxed, so you just restart it if you do.

    in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155911
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > so a brand new ipad might run for 10 hours, but with with one year of heavy use the battery could easily wear out to 4-5 hours

    No. I have the original ipad and the battery life is as long as it ever was. The ipad battery is not anything like the batteries in a laptop and the drive is a low energy SSD. Also, the battery percentage is constantly displayed. Like Tony, I have never ever found this to be an issue.

    It isn’t a netbook, laptop, or android device and doesn’t behave as they do.

    in reply to: Harp covers #69162
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >By far the best thing I would like to see is a way to pack up and store the covers when not in use

    For my L&H transport cover for the concert grand that I don’t use much, I put the column cover inside the big cover, fold it half lengthwise and then roll it up as tightly as I can and bungee it with two heavy bungee cords. It goes into a reasonably sized roll–no worse than a lightweight sleeping bag.

    The base cover is always a problem, though.

    in reply to: Where to buy cheap harp strings? #69849
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Also, what make and model of harp and what kind of stringing?

    in reply to: Where to buy cheap harp strings? #69848
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Better to figure why you’re breaking so many strings and fix the root cause. Are they breaking at the base of the string? at the tuning pin?

    in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155901
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I talked about mine here:

    http://barbarabrundage.com/2011/02/23/part-6-ipad-cases-for-the-gig/

    (My harp case has a string pocket so I don’t have to worry about those.)

    in reply to: Il Padrino arrangement in Yoshino’s Insomnia #146122
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Meant to say it’s definitely not Laura Erb’s arrangement. She does have some arpeggios as fill, but not the full chord left hand or the filigree pattern later on.
    Erb’s version is actually pretty simple compared to some of her others.

    in reply to: Il Padrino arrangement in Yoshino’s Insomnia #146121
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    I’ve only heard as much as you can hear on the itunes preview, but I don’t think it’s Laura Erb’s version. Probably her own arrangement, I would presume.

    in reply to: Bernard Andres information please #103644
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    >Then for real inspiration, Sarah Bullen on her album “The Essential Harp” includes the Dances d’Automne.

    These are also on the Isabelle Perrin Andres CD.

    in reply to: Harp Mobile/Harp Car HELP! #69779
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    If you do a google search for Matrix for this site, you’ll find a number of threads about the Matrix as a harpmobile.

    in reply to: How would you respond? #156014
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Yes, what Sid said! When I gigged on a 23 I didn’t hear it any less often than I do with a Thormahlen. People are just clueless. There’s nothing to do but smile, nod, and go on with what you were doing. As Ray Pool so wisely said, “People don’t want to be educated–they want to be right.”

    in reply to: Titanic’s Dedicated Musicians #146111
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    > the musicians’ union made a direct appeal

    This was well before the Titanic sailed, just to be clear, not while it was sinking. They tried on behalf of all the White Star Line musicians, not just those on the Titanic.

    in reply to: Titanic’s Dedicated Musicians #146110
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Oh, and the musicians’ families got nothing from the courts except sympathy.

    in reply to: Titanic’s Dedicated Musicians #146109
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    The musicians lost their status long before that. In a story that will be familiar to many professional musicians, for several years the musicians contracted directly with the White Star Line. Then a big agency came along and persuaded the company they could do the music cheaper. The agency got an exclusive and immediately turned around and told all the existing musicians that if they wanted to keep the gig they’d be working for the agency at a much-reduced pay scale.

    Now in order to be legally under the captain’s command, the musicians were still getting a very small token payment from the line as well (something like a shilling, if I remember correctly). So the musicians’ union made a direct appeal to the White Star Line to do right by these poor guys. They responded by not giving them the shilling anymore so they no longer had any kind of quasi-crew status at all, although they were still bound by all the restrictions of crew members.

    After the ship sank, when tributes to the courage of the musicians were pouring in from all over the world, there was a letter from the agency, too. It was a demand for payment for the parts of their uniforms that hadn’t been fully paid for yet.

    Walter Lord, who wrote the classic A Night to Remember, wrote a less well known collection of essays (The Night Lives On) after the finding of the Titanic in 1985, in which he revisited a lot of things where his opinion had changed since he wrote the first book back in the 1950s. One chapter is devoted to the musicians. It’s very interesting reading.

    in reply to: AHS Conference registration problem – Help! #103162
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

    Sorry, didn’t mean to hit post so soon. I don’t know what else you can do except to keep trying to contact them. If email doesn’t get results, there is a phone number. They’re the only people who can straighten this out.

    However, based on past experience I would also say don’t be surprised if the answer is no, you must register for the whole thing if you want to do more than one day. It’s possible you haven’t had a response because they’re deciding what they want the policy to be and haven’t come to a decision yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,501 total)