Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
balfour-knight
ParticipantHere in Western North Carolina, fees for a normal wedding run about $250. to $300. The rehearsal is usually an extra $75. Funerals or memorial services tend to be around $200. Hope this helps!
Best wishes to all of you,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHi, Nancy and Elizabeth,
To each his/her own, like you said, but I do not like to practice on the day of the performance. It tends to create more nervousness for me, and I think to myself, “if I don’t know this music already, with all my excessive preparation, I am never going to know it, and I am not going to help myself by sweating over it right now.” This is not to say that I do not warm up before a performance. I do that with some etudes or some other pieces that are NOT on the performance.
The above applies mainly to my solo performances. If I am playing with other musicians, most of them seem to want to warm up with the performance material right before the performance, which totally goes against what I just said, ha, ha! But again, to each his own!
Have a great Valentine’s Day, my friends!
Balfour-
This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by
balfour-knight.
balfour-knight
ParticipantHello Andre and Davy!
I am SO pleased to get the great news! I knew Davy could do it–all his hard work has paid off. I remember how proud my own father was when I was accepted as a music major at our university, so you all can celebrate. My dad and I used to go out for donuts, or some other sweet dessert when something like this happened.
Thanks so much for letting us know this wonderful news.
Wishing you the very best,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHave you checked out the Camac harps? They are usually lighter in general, and much more comfortable on the shoulder. They also are using carbon fiber in all their harps, but unlike Heartland, they still have nice solid spruce soundboards.
January 31, 2020 at 2:31 pm in reply to: Sound effects that enhance an acoustic harp's sound #241221balfour-knight
ParticipantI have to agree, Saul. I feel the same way about my Camac Atlantide Prestige!
balfour-knight
ParticipantThank you so much, Andre! My mistake–I am glad you cleared that up about Bill van Patten. I hope Harp Column gives him credit on the video. He plays the piece beautifully, and your Davy does too!
Harp Hugs,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantYes, let the cello take the melody, as in the Saint-Saens original. In “Essence of the Swan,” the harpist can use both hands to do the chords, rolled or arpeggiated to suit the performer. You can be creative! This is an “easy” arrangement to promote “the joy of music,” and to put this difficult piece into the hands of harp players in the “easy to intermediate” category. Think of all the “easy piano” arrangements there are out there for students and hobbyists–Angi and I try to do the same thing for harpists!
Best of luck,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantHello again, my friends! Did you see “Lonely Shepherd” featured as a “favorite new solo” on Harp Column Music? It is the third one down, and you can scroll down a little further to watch Paul Schocker play this beautiful piece on the concert harp! Way to go, Harp Column!
We wish Davy all the best in his audition for the pre-conservatory high-school in Rotterdam. How exciting for you, his father, also–you can be very proud of him!
Harp Hugs and all good thoughts,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantBill, that all looks very impressive! That is way beyond my limited “tech ability,” ha, ha! I cannot discern too much difference in listening to these here on-line, but I bet you can tell more “in person.”
I have the Dusty built-in pickup on my FH36S, and it works great for amplification and recording–very clear and “true to harp” sound. I use an instrumental microphone for my Camac Atlantide Prestige pedal harp, and it also sounds very nice amplified and recorded. I really cannot tell much difference in sound quality between the pick-up and the microphone. I hang the microphone inside the harp body suspended by the cord, wrapped in a sock so it does not bang against anything when I lean back and put down the harp. I can select where to hang it, higher or lower, depending on which section of the harp needs more prominence. Usually, the closer to the middle works best. There are five holes in the back of this harp, so I put the microphone through the second one down, and it hangs near the middle.
Thanks for posting this–it is very interesting!
Harp Hugs and Happy 12th Night,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHi, Brook,
Nice to see your post! You may want to contact Sylvia Woods to see if anyone is still in the harp-decals business. Years ago, she used to feature them in her catalogs.
Happy 12th Night!
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantGood luck, Charles!
It is always nice to see everyone’s posts here!Happy 12th Night everyone, and Happy Epiphany!
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)-
This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by
balfour-knight. Reason: maintaining our privacy!
balfour-knight
ParticipantWell, Biagio, I do things like that all the time, especially with my “advanced age,” ha, ha! Suffice it to say, way back in 2011 when I bought my Ravenna, I tried all the lever harps at the Atlanta Harp Center, including the Camacs. For the sound I wanted, particularly as a gigging harp, the Ravenna won the contest! The very resonable price helped, also. The main thing I would have had, though, if it had been available then, would have been the Camac levers. Now, they can be ordered on a Ravenna, which I think really improves the value of this very affordable harp, even with the additional cost of the levers.
Charles, we are always here if you need us. Enjoy that new Telenn with its wonderful solid spruce soundboard!
Cheers to you and everyone for a very happy 2020!Best,
Balfourbalfour-knight
ParticipantWhat a nice story for New Year 2020! Thanks so much. Davy is doing SO WELL. It is wonderful to see him growing up and becoming a PEDAL harpist. He really knows his way around that beautiful harp!
Harp Hugs,
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantThanks so much, Wil-Weten! That’s why Camac harps sound so good!
Happy New Year everyone!
Balfour (and Carol Lynn)balfour-knight
ParticipantHi, Biagio! I do agree with what you said about “harps are made and played with respect to science, craftsmanship, and yes, magic.” But I wanted to add one more point–I am not sure that Camac uses any laminated soundboards on any of their harps. I think they are all solid spruce, veneered on their front surface, of course, for appearance and beauty. I had a friend who owned a Hermine lever harp, and it had a solid spruce soundboard, even though it is generally regarded as a “student” model. I could be wrong, but maybe someone else knows whether Camac uses any laminated soundboards?
Best to all of you,
Balfour -
This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts