balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Teifi Siff Saff Salvi Una #246601
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi again, Eric!

    As Charles stated, look at the HC classified ads. I just did and noticed two wonderful lever harps being sold by my friend Brook in Shreveport. These would be harps in new, mint condition, and Brook would be one of the best persons to deal with that I know. I hope this helps!

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Teifi Siff Saff Salvi Una #246564
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Eric,

    The obvious question I have, since you are indeed closer to L&H, is why haven’t you considered a L&H? It would be well worth trying all of them out and enjoying a weekend doing that.

    I once helped a friend buy a harp at the Atlanta Harp Center. She was convinced she wanted a L&H Ogden, but after several hours of playing and hearing all the lever harps they had, she selected a Camac Hermine! We know of many folks doing this same thing when buying a car, of course!

    All good advice from my other harp friends here on this thread. Thanks, everyone!

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: New Lever Harp Maker #246502
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Dave, we sympathize completely. Just remember, this too shall pass.
    Cheers to all of you!
    Balfour

    in reply to: New Lever Harp Maker #246473
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, Dave!

    Thanks for your post. Your new harps look well-built and sound very nice, with Sue Richards arrangements played by Olivia Hitt! We wish you all the best in your new endeavor.

    Harp Hugs and best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Camac Athena or Salvi Daphne? #246436
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Well, I shall post my “two cents” for what it’s worth, ha, ha! I have played both the Daphnes and the Athenas and have found some very nice ones among the more “ordinary” ones. As has been said, each particular harp is different, but Camacs, like most Yamaha fine pianos, are very consistent. My favorite of course is the Atlantide Prestige, both for superior tone (magnificent, in my opinion!) and sleek appearance (understated elegance!). I know that each person’s taste is different, so just play many harps until you find the one that “speaks” to you.

    Wishing you all the best,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Turning lemons into lemonade… #246396
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Carl,

    I was so happy to receive my new books today! I have hardly put them down, I am so impressed with your clear format and editing–just what harpists need to understand this great music. Wow, what they sound like on my French concert grand! The notation is so different from the cluttered, marked up ones of my past, and the scholarship with which you edited them is so apparent. We all are deeply indebted to you for all your hard work in this venture. I give these new editions my highest praise!

    Stay safe, and harp hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Turning lemons into lemonade… #246191
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Carl,

    How nice to see this post from you! I mentioned to my sweet wife that your book would make a great 44th wedding anniversary present for me from her, so guess what? She very lovingly ordered it for me, plus your new edition of Ravel’s Introduction and Allegro! I can’t wait to see these wonderful new editions and play them on my French Camac Atlantide Prestige. This great music was written for harps like mine (and Erard harps, of course!)

    I have been passing the time during this “shut-down” doing everything for Carol Lynn on her “honey-do” list, including getting her a beautiful bird-bath for our garden and building her a new bridge across our stream to our little island. She really wanted to do something special for me, too, so these new books will superbly “fit the bill.” Thanks so much for letting all of us know!

    I hope everyone is doing well, and remember, “this, too, shall pass.” Maybe the world will soon return to normal.

    Harp Hugs to all of you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: It's a new age…I tried something different! #244574
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Philippa and all my friends,

    Thanks for the wonderful concert, Phillippa, and thanks Wil-Weten for the link that worked so well. I agree with Gretchen about piano and harp played equally well. I also enjoyed hearing your beautiful Camac Atlantide Prestige; it sounded like mine!

    Everyone, please stay safe in this pandemic.

    Best wishes to you all,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: The Nightingale #244316
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    You really made our day! Thanks for posting this. Stay well and safe.

    Harp hugs,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: Concierto Serenata by Rodrigo #243709
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting it so we can actually see the incomparable Zabaleta play. Until now, I had only heard audio recordings of him.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Practice the day before a performance? #243585
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Just play by memory, Saul!

    in reply to: On Folk Harps #243430
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Great advice for all of us. Thanks, Biagio!

    in reply to: Triplett harps #243401
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    K–perhaps play with a “flat” left hand, damping just before you grasp the next string/strings you are about to play. My friend, Josh Layne, has at least one video on the Internet about how to avoid buzzing on the strings, some great ideas. Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Practice the day before a performance? #243079
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks Jerusha!

    in reply to: Lonely Shepherd – Paul Schocker #242353
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Dear Andre’ and Davy,

    Thanks so much for the wonderful news! Now we are so happy, just like Davy!

    We just enjoyed the new video you posted. What beautiful and sensitive playing, Davy. You make that concert harp sound so good! Your technique is so improved, with power when you need it. It is so good that fingers play the harp strings directly, without anything in between (like the action in a piano!) so that all the expression can happen so magically. Of course, the old adage “the work must be done in order to play!” is SO important, we all know. Davy, keep up the good work. We are so proud of you!

    Big harp hugs,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 1,492 total)