balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Webster Harp vs Dusty Strings? #252255
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Molly! Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

    in reply to: Getting into playing at events #252165
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Euterpe and Alyson! I just searched “harp pop music” and found a good looking book published by Hal Leonard called First 50 Songs You Should Play on the Harp. There are of course many other selections. You could also check with Angi Bemiss (Simply the Harp) in Atlanta, GA for her wonderful suggestions.

    Hope this helps!
    Best,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Webster Harp vs Dusty Strings? #252123
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks so much, Wil!

    in reply to: Webster Harp vs Dusty Strings? #252080
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Molly, just wondering how you are doing on your beautiful Ravenna. Were you able to adjust your levers to your satisfaction?

    Also, Annie, have you purchased/rented a harp yet? I love to hear updates from all you wonderful friends on Harp Column!

    Wil, I did not know Camac ever made a single-action pedal harp–how neat! Do you know any more about them or why they stopped making them? I guess the Clio 44-string replaced that single action model, and the Clios are great pedal harps in a “petite” package.

    Harp Hugs to everyone,
    And,
    Have a great day,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Purchasing a used harp from ‘Harp, buy, play, rent’ #252050
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Danamarie!

    I am so glad to see some of my best harp-friends’ posts in response to your dilemma. I do sympathize with your reluctance to pay for a used harp sight-unseen. Certainly a compromise should be reached, so that you would not have to purchase this harp if it doesn’t suit you. But I do agree that the seller should be paid something for her time in loading up the harp and travel time if you do not take the harp.

    I agree with Wil here–I am a big fan of Camac harps. Have you thought about the Clio model with either a straight soundboard or an extended one? When you said “a good little pedal harp,” would you mind telling us what brand and how many strings it has?

    Hoping this all goes well for you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: First pedal harp – L&H, Pilgrim or Aoyama? #251981
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I would try to play as many harps as possible before you make your actual purchase. Have you also considered Camac? Don’t leave any stone unturned, as they say! Happy harp hunting!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Wrapped string control #251980
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree, a good harp teacher would be able to look at what you are doing wrong and help you fix it. The harp is not an instrument to just pick up and play–you would develop too many bad habits that are difficult, if not impossible, to correct.

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: the passing of Brook Boddie #251747
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi, Jerusha and all,

    Brook’s memorial service is still available on-line if anyone else would like to view it. It is a beautiful, fitting tribute to this “gentle giant of a man.”

    Search Broadmoor Baptist Church, Shreveport, LA on Facebook, scroll down a bit and you should find Brook’s service. Thanks Andy-b for the information in your previous post here.

    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Getting sick of those pedals…..!! Chromatique harp #251746
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Wil, that link worked perfectly for me, and I hope, for Elizabeth. What a delightful rendition of Hedwig’s Theme, almost “other-worldly” on that great sounding chromatic harp!

    Thanks so much!
    Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: the passing of Brook Boddie #251699
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    https://www.osbornfuneralhome.net/obituary/7059728
    This is the link to Brook’s obituary.

    in reply to: the passing of Brook Boddie #251686
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks so much, Jerusha, for letting all of us know. Brook was indeed a wonderful person and will be missed by everyone who knew him. I know he is playing beautiful harps, pianos, and organs in Heaven! ( And, he is no longer suffering from his back pain which plagued him here on earth and affected his ability to play the pedal harp.) Rest in peace, dear Brook.

    With love,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: purchase Camac Lever #251664
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello Jap and Biagio,

    Just my “two cents” here, ha, ha! I favor the Camac levers, as you know. The beauty of them, other than they sound great, is that they do not rub the strings as they smoothly engage. They are engineered to press the string directly against the little posts or stops, in a manner not unlike how the forks do on a pedal harp. The first time I saw Camac levers, I could not believe the ingenuity in their design. They are all-metal, which gives a very pure tone when engaged. The only tool required to install them to the neck of the harp is a Torx screwdriver, mine is a 267/T8 x 40, available at Dusty Strings and other harp tool suppliers. Read what harp makers think of them on many websites.

    I hope this helps.

    Best to all of you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: It's a new age…I tried something different! #251576
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks Carl for posting these wonderful videos of Isabelle. She certainly makes that beautiful Camac sound great!

    in reply to: Yay….new/old harp coming! #251530
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for the pictures. This harp is beautiful and I bet she does sound good. Play a lot and enjoy this 4th of July!

    Harp hugs,
    Balfour

    in reply to: new music from Carl Swanson! #251324
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Jerusha! When the book arrives, go to p. 16 and try “Offrande.” You will be amazed at how easy it is to read and play compared to the old editions. Then play “Berceuse russe” and “Cloches sous la neige”. This last one translates to “Bells in the Snow,” and if we are able to do Christmas concerts this year, this piece may well appear on my programs!

    Thanks again, Carl. I have loved having this book during the “sheltering at home” period here in NC. May the world come out of this soon!

    Best to you all,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,492 total)