harpcolumn

Getting into playing at events

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Getting into playing at events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    euterpe
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I’m a keen pedal harpist, just out of school, and I would really like to use my harping abilities to make some money. Although I’m not going on to study music at university, I am looking to start playing at weddings and other events. However, I have absolutely no idea where to start. I’m looking for advice on what/how much repertoire is the best and most appropriate, how to make myself known and the etiquette of performing (in the background..) as a paid musician. Everyone here seems really friendly, so any advice, or your own stories of how you got into playing at events, would be very helpful and much appreciated.
    E x

alyson-webber
    Participant

I would get in touch with local swanky venues or places with a Sunday Brunch and see if you can play (I give a steep discount for regular work).

Most people compliment me on the songs they know. Standards, pop songs, folk tunes… I’d focus on romantic ones to begin with as you can double those for wedding songs.

euterpe
    Participant

Thanks Alyson! There’s a few hotels and things near me which I could get in touch with. Do you have any recommendations of a book of easy pop music?

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello Euterpe and Alyson! I just searched “harp pop music” and found a good looking book published by Hal Leonard called First 50 Songs You Should Play on the Harp. There are of course many other selections. You could also check with Angi Bemiss (Simply the Harp) in Atlanta, GA for her wonderful suggestions.

Hope this helps!
    Best,
    Balfour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.