balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Yay….new/old harp coming! #251286
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I would love to see a photo when you get the harp.
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question on Soundboard Rivets #251283
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    By the way, I have always called those “eyelets” that the other strings pass through.

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi again,

    Glad you got the additional nylon and wire strings! I was not familiar with the Vanderbilt wires having different “anchors”–how interesting!

    The wires on my Camac were/are made by Galli, Italian, I believe. When I just checked on them at the Atlanta Harp Center, they are way more expensive than they are at Pacific Atlantic Harps in CA. I don’t know if it is a misprint in the pricing? How interesting!

    Good luck with your stringing!
    Balfour

    in reply to: String recommendations for a 70s era Salvi Concert Grand #251264
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Please let us know how this turns out. The combination of Premier and Vanderbilt sound good to me. I cannot find it at the moment, but I believe someone said that the Vanderbilt strings are now made in France?

    Good day to you all,
    Balfour

    in reply to: is this harp easier to bend on the 1,2,3,4, holes? #251263
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, Charles, for shedding some light on this subject. I puzzled over Jose’s post and wondered what he meant.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question on Soundboard Rivets #251262
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks, jzydek! I just thought all Camac pedal harps had those nylon dots. You learn something new every day on these delightful harp forums!
    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Question on Soundboard Rivets #251253
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hello, Jzydek,

    Forgive me, but I am a bit confused. I read elsewhere on this forum that you have a Camac Athena CG. Doesn’t it have dots for the bass strings? My Camac Atlantide Prestige CG certainly does, 14 of them. They go up two notes higher than the 12 Bass wires, since Camac can also provide a different gauge of strings for those 14 notes, all in wire. Please check and see if your Athena is like the Atlantide.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Since Salvis tend to have a darker, mellower sound than Camacs, anyway, I think the Premier strings would certainly improve the Salvi tone, just my opinion. Of course, your Salvi was probably strung with standard Bow Brand originally. As for the Bass wires, I love the ones that came on my Camac (check with Carolyn Sykes at Pacific Atlantic Harps for these.)

    Hope this helps. Have a great day!
    Balfour

    in reply to: Getting sick of those pedals…..!! Chromatique harp #251060
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks Carl and Wil!

    in reply to: Getting sick of those pedals…..!! Chromatique harp #251028
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I am reminded about Henriette Renie saying that she caused Pleyel to invent this chromatic harp with her joke about “all of these pedals,” ha, ha! The tone of this harp is rather peculiar, too, compared to a usual pedal harp. Sylvain certainly did a great job playing it, though!

    Have a great day,
    Balfour

    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi! I have been using Premiere gut strings from the Virginia Harp Center on my Camac Atlantide Prestige. I believe they have the best tone of any strings I have ever used, and they seem to be long-lived. I know some Salvi harpists who also agree with me about the Premiere strings, so they should sound wonderful on your Salvi!

    Have a great day,
    Balfour

    in reply to: best advice you were given? #250976
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree, this has been an amazing thread! Now for what to do during this Covid-19 pandemic, when life throws you lemons, make lemonade!

    Love to all of you,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #250828
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    By the way, Gretchen, the C Flats are not a problem for me in Carl’s new edition, ha, ha!
    Affectionately,
    Balfour

    in reply to: lever harp soundboard surface crack #250814
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Thanks for the additional information, Biagio!
    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Offrande by Tournier–Question! #250813
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Well, harp friends, I am reviving an “old” thread here that some of you may find very interesting! Carl’s recent new edition of Tournier’s works solves all the problems of reading the notes where they are actually written to be played, as you can see for yourself. Thanks again, Carl!

    Best to all of you,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,492 total)