balfour-knight

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 1,492 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp arrangements for old time fiddle tunes? #294633
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Talfryn,

    I am a native western North Carolinian, in the Appalachian mountains. Around here, we are raised on old-time country and blue-grass music, especially fiddle and banjo tunes. Those of us who can play by ear just listen to it and work on it until we can play it, in my experience. If I discover where anyone has actually written it down for harp, I will certainly let you know.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: arthritis #294632
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Aloe Vera, both topical and taken internally.

    in reply to: How long did it take you to learn the harp? #294631
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Philippa, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your musical journey. You play the harp and piano so well, and I hope you do indeed continue both instruments throughout your career. I have done the same with harp and piano, and of course, organ–yesterday I did a fun church concert on all three instruments. I love that I have also had a “hybrid career.” That is such a good way to put it!

    Did you get the orchestra job, or do you know yet? We certainly wish you all the best.

    Warm regards,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: 2022 Harpmobile Suggestions? #293961
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I have a church concert on pedal harp this coming Sunday, and I always look forward to taking the Outback. The new expanded design for the rear-gate makes for easy concert-harp loading!

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: I almost became a victim of a scam! #291059
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    So glad to hear that it all worked out okay!

    in reply to: How long did it take you to learn the harp? #290827
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Molly, I have played the piano, harp, and organ for so long, it is difficult to remember too many specific “aha” moments, but one sticks in my memory forever. During work on my Master’s degree, I was practicing the organ, harp and piano more than I had ever done in the past. One day at the organ, I suddenly had an “aha” moment, when my feet fully understood what they should do on the pedalboard! At the Master’s level of organ playing, the feet do their “own thing” on the pedals, with contrapuntal melodic lines going on along with separate melodies in both hands, and this three-way manner of thinking is very difficult for most people. Suddenly, it all came together, so that I could think three different ways, and it was amazing! Pedaling on a pedal harp is similar, and we are dealing with the “odd” pedal order (DCB–EFGA) that has to become “second nature” to a pedal harpist. I know that it just clicked in one day for me, but it took a while!

    You are on the right track–you LOVE the harp!

    Best wishes to you and all,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Info about Lyon and Healy style 21 #290544
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree, Saul, Tom Bell would be an excellent choice!

    in reply to: How long did it take you to learn the harp? #290536
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    “At some point after you get past the early beginner phase, does it get easier? Do things just “click” more with your technique and sight reading?”

    Yes, Molly, it will indeed get easier as you advance. The hardest thing is having enough patience to stick with it until you can play very well. At that point, it becomes a joy! The great Henriette Renie would ask a prospective harp student, “Do you love the harp?” If the answer was not a resounding “yes,” she would not take the student.

    Best wishes on your harp journey,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: 2022 Harpmobile Suggestions? #290471
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    Hi Celeste,

    Yes, with the supply-chain problems and delays going on currently, we did have to special-order our 2022 Outback Premium. But it was well worth the wait! My Atlantide Prestige is 74.25″ high without the transport cover, if that helps. To avoid taking the actual harp to a dealership, it is a great idea to take the transport cover! We have also seen the Subaru Ascents and they are really nice cars! There was not as long a waiting time for those, but we wanted an Outback.

    Wishing you the best in your new car search,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn

    in reply to: 2022 Harpmobile Suggestions? #290420
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    We travel with a Camac full-size concert grand, the Atlantide Prestige, which is 75″ tall with the transport cover on the harp. Our car is a 2022 Subaru Outback Premium, which has more than enough space for this harp, with almost 5″ in length left over. I am 5′ 6″ and the harp has all this room in the car with my driver’s seat in a comfortable position for me. The top of the harp column goes behind the driver’s seat, on the left side here in the USA. That way, the side of the harp with all the discs is facing UP. The harp fits straight-in, we do not have to place it at an angle, and there is plenty of additional room for the bench, music stand, amplification equipment, etc. Did I say “WE LOVE THIS CAR?” This car is the most comfortable, capable car with its all-wheel-drive and other nice features, that we have ever owned. I hope this helps.

    Best wishes to all of you,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

    in reply to: Info about Lyon and Healy style 21 #289986
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    “Hi! I’m purchassing a restored Lyon and Healy Style 21 made in about 1910” to quote from the original post. MR, do you know when this harp was actually restored, and who did the work? Like Catherine indicated, if it needs further work done on it, H. Bryan or Carl Swanson would be my picks.

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Building a Small Harp #289750
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I would love to see updates, Molly and all. How is the harp building going?

    Best wishes,
    Balfour

    in reply to: Wedding gig rates in the U.S. and abroad #289719
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I agree completely, Saul. There should be double-pay for Bridezillas AND their mothers, ha, ha!

    in reply to: 1979 Jay Witcher wire harp #289611
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    That Z-toggle idea is great! I never knew how the wire strings were anchored on a wire-strung harp. I have dealt with putting many such strings on harpsichords and clavichords, but never a wire-strung harp. Thanks, Biagio!

    Cheers,
    Balfour

    in reply to: D pedal not returning fully #289466
    balfour-knight
    Participant

    I assume that PTFE dust is a lubricant? How and where did you apply it on the harp to fix this problem? I always like to know, in case I ever have this same problem, you know! Thanks!

    Best to you,
    Balfour

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 1,492 total)