harpcolumn

Info about Lyon and Healy style 21

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Info about Lyon and Healy style 21

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MR
    Participant

Hi! I’m purchassing a restored Lyon and Healy Style 21 made in about 1910, the style seems to be pretty rare as I haven’t seen many players play it, and the information about it on the web is pretty scarce. Does anyone have experience with the harps or any knowledge about des their history?
    Thanks in advance 🙂
    MR

I did a concert on that model once, or one like it, and it had excellent projection, if not the warmth or rounded tone of a 23.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

According to the facsimile of the Lyon & Healy 1899 Harp book (catalog), the style 21 is 69 inches tall, 34 inches wide, has 45 strings, and weighs 65 lbs. In 1899 it cost $875 brand new! Described as “Designed especially for solo playing for home or stage purposes.”

Do you know if it needs restoration? If so, I would recommend H.Bryan & Co. at oldharpsmadeyoung.com. My reason is they try to preserve as much of the original as possible, replicating parts when necessary. You can check with both companies and see what you’re comfortable with. By the way, harps of that age generally use lighter gauge strings than modern harps, so you can ask H.Bryan about that, too. You don’t want to put too much tension on an old harp’s soundboard and neck. Congratulations and have fun!

balfour-knight
    Participant

“Hi! I’m purchassing a restored Lyon and Healy Style 21 made in about 1910” to quote from the original post. MR, do you know when this harp was actually restored, and who did the work? Like Catherine indicated, if it needs further work done on it, H. Bryan or Carl Swanson would be my picks.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

Bryan retired some time ago, though his business is still going. Thom Bell also does restorations, but is backed up, I hear.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I agree, Saul, Tom Bell would be an excellent choice!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies