harpcolumn

Learning Harp Regulation & Maintenance?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Learning Harp Regulation & Maintenance?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Deette Bunn
    Participant

I have used the Happiness in a Contented Harp for years! Great book with great pictures. Wish L&H would reissue. Saw a copy on eBay for more than $100 dollars!

balfour-knight
    Participant

I have been reading Sam Pratt’s book “Affairs of the Harp.” It is a very informative book, but bear in mind that it was published in 1964 and is “dated.” The cartoons are great, however. For clarity, organization and expert instructions, I still prefer Carl Swanson’s!

carl-swanson
    Participant

The cartoons in Sam Pratt’s book are fantastic, and they were done by one of the great animators of Hollywood, Don Bluth. He apparently was a relative of Sam Pratt’s. I’d love to know where the original artwork is of those cartoons.

susan-knapp-thomas
    Participant

I’ve had multiple students interested in harp regulation training to become a master regulator. Every time I search for a training/teaching program I come up dry. Why does L/H keep this information so secret? Anyone know where to find info on a technician training program? We can always use more regulators! Thanks~

balfour-knight
    Participant

You might get in touch with Camac Harps to see if they have a learning program for regulating and servicing their harps, which are different from L&H, Salvi, Venus, Wurlitzer, etc.

Carl Swanson is the best person for all these other brands of harps, and he might have some ideas to help you, Susan.

Best regards,
    Balfour

Affairs of the harp has many technical details about regulating and repairing harps, in far greater detail than Mr. Swanson’s book, which covers the basics. Lyon & Healy once published a booklet called “Happiness is a Contented Harp” which told how to change felts, check and oil springs and studs, and do basic regulation.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Balfour- Thank you for the kind words. I wrote A GUIDE FOR HARPISTS because of the dearth of information in Sam Pratt’s book. I think his book was the first time that anyone had tried to write about harps and harp maintenance, and so it was groundbreaking. But I felt that it was really written for a knowledgeable technician to read, not your average harpist who knows nothing about how the harp works. When I was writing each of the chapters, I had two professional harpists here in Boston read the draft I had written and then do the repair or adjustment while I just watched. I asked them to “think out loud” so I could see how they were interpreting what I had written. Because of that experimental feedback, I re-wrote several of the chapters 4 or 5 times before I was satisfied that an unknowledgeable harpist could understand what I was explaining and do the work.

Concerning the issue of having qualified technicians available: There are quite a few trained regulators around, thanks to Lyon & Healy’s training program. But not one of them does major harp repairs, such as replacing necks, soundboards, repairing baseframes, re-riveting, etc. Right now, as far as I can tell, there is just Tom Bell(who is a very good friend of mine) and my workshop. My understanding is that Lyon & Healy will only work on Lyon & Healy and Salvi harps. That leaves out Wurlitzer, Venus, Swanson, Horngacher, etc. During my career I worked mostly on Lyon & Healy harps, but also worked on other makes as well. For that reason, I have started to train harp repairmen who can do the major surgery that harps eventually need. My fear is that, without trained rebuilders around (who know what they are doing) there will be no one who is able to work on all makes of harps, and that will leave the door open for well meaning woodworkers who know nothing about harps to make catastrophic mistakes attempting these repairs, and also complete charlatans trying to make a quick buck. Of course, the people I train have to know how to regulate. But I am not interested, nor do I have the time, to train people just to regulate. I’m focusing totally on creating a new generation of harp rebuilders who can repair and restore harps to their best condition.

balfour-knight
    Participant

So good to hear from you, Carl! Back when I only had L&H harps, I referred to your book constantly, and it is still THE BEST, in my humble opinion.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

The other way is to apprentice to a harp technician, or a harpist such as Richard Turner, who is expert at regulation. The question is, where do you live, and why aren’t any technicians visiting? I live in a major city, yet only one technician ever comes here, and he is limited in what he does.

Jeanne-Marie Maher
    Participant

How about for the non pedal harpists? I have only been playing 2 years (a covid project -with no musical background). It’s been fun. I have a teacher but did swing a harp regulation with a 2.5 hour drive one way. I would like to learn how to handle my own and maybe other’s harps. I own a Dusty FH 26 (old tapered pins) and a new Crescendo. Dusty has a book but I’d love to learn from a professional on site if possible. I live in the mountains of NH but might be willing to relocate for this experience if not too long. Is the above book good for levered harps? Appreciate your help!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics