B Y

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Help, I’m stuck in by harp! #164167
    B Y
    Participant

    Sure! Depending on the hairstyle of the week, my hair gets stuck…my earrings pull…my clothing sticks to the harp if it’s humid…I’ve even gotten my hand stuck in the harp, while changing a string. Terrible!

    in reply to: Good and Bad Parents #87258
    B Y
    Participant

    They’re either unreasonable, they force it, they don’t care about it or they listen to everything I say. You have to sort of ‘teach’ the parents also. It’s rough! Does anyone have the parents practice with the child at a young age? If so, until what age/stage?

    in reply to: Teacher Tips for Developing Muscle Memory? #87195
    B Y
    Participant

    I’m wondering, once Muscle Memory is down, how do you emphasize memory memory!!! My students learn muscle memory well, clearly because I’m the queen of muscle memory, but when it comes down to learning the music inside & out, everyone doesn’t catch on as easily.

    in reply to: Humidity Causing Sticky Strings: Outdoor Gigs #87200
    B Y
    Participant

    No 🙁

    I just played a series of outdoor gigs in the Hamptons and not only did my fingers stick, my strings began to unravel!!!! I seemed to have forgotten when this happened before, about 10 years ago. Anyway, it was a reminder for me: Outdoor gigs by the water are not worth it unless they’re paying over $1000!

    in reply to: Wurlitzer Harps??? #147601
    B Y
    Participant

    I play a Wurlitzer where I teach. It is the only one I have ever played, has a straight soundboard and still has a BOOMING, bright sound. I absolutely love it and if I found one comparable to that one, I’d get it in a second!

    in reply to: Harps by NYC #164771
    B Y
    Participant

    Yes, contact Liza Jensen of Harps International. You can email me if you need more details.
    brandee.younger@gmail.com

    in reply to: What’s the worst thing that’s happened in a lesson? #88056
    B Y
    Participant

    Saul…I’ve fallen asleep before : /

    I didn’t know if it was me, if I hadn’t gotten enough sleep or what, so I thought. Then I said, ‘you’re putting me to sleep.’ When they decide not to practice, I get frustrated and it shows.

    in reply to: Fingertips (help) better to bandage or just stop playing? #88184
    B Y
    Participant

    The myrrh stuff does works! I guess you want to try to build and build over time too. Susan Jolles turned me on to Bag Balm, which smells awful. She had me use it to soften my hard callused fingertips(my thumbs sounded like nails, pretty gross) but I also found it helped a lot with the pain over time…not right away.

    It smells so freaking bad, I usually put it on at night, then use it sparingly in the am. The bag balm and a nail file make a world of a difference.

    in reply to: Candlelight Carol & Mass for the Children by Rutter #149278
    B Y
    Participant

    No worries!
    Candlelight Carol is very easy.

    in reply to: Gliere Impromptu #145551
    B Y
    Participant

    I have been trying to do exactly what you said, Saul.

    in reply to: Gliere Impromptu #145549
    B Y
    Participant

    Thanks! I will definitely try all of this.

    in reply to: taking my harp to college…? #167576
    B Y
    Participant

    I would just be careful.

    in reply to: Harp Myths and Legends #167581
    B Y
    Participant

    Harps do last well over 20 years.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)