harpcolumn

Harp Myths and Legends

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Harp Myths and Legends

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Harp Column needs your help! We want to know about the harp myths and legends you
    have heard batted around in harp circles. They can range from the outrageous (Can a harp
    really explode?), to the mundane (Can a timpani key really substitute for a harp tuning key
    in a pinch?) Harp Column will attempt to separate fact from fiction in these urban legends.
    Post your myths and legends here, and we?ll do our best to sort out the truth for you in a
    future issue of Harp Column!

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve heard that harps actually only last about 20 years or so (something about soundboard problems) is there any way to extend their lives (or was this some joke that someone was playing on me?)

tony-morosco
    Participant

Harps can last a heck of a lot longer than 20 years. I know of harps that are around 100 years old and play just fine.

Harps do have a limited life span. The stress on them means that they will only last so long, unlike some other instruments that just improve with the centuries. Of course you have to take decent care of it in a proper environment.

I don’t know what the average life span of a harp is, but I know of many, many harps out there well over 20 years old. Heck, my current harp is almost that old now.

B Y
    Participant

Harps do last well over 20 years.

SEAN DUCHINSKY
    Participant

the first harp i played was a straight board lyon and healy, which, at the time, was about ninety years old.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies