Alison

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 489 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Tuning new pedal harp #221146
    Alison
    Participant

    I was making the assumption that the harp had been flown in, and that would mean it had been through more extremes of temperature and air pressure etc. Sure if it was by road then less to worry about. I once shipped a harp from UK to Salt Lake city and the harpist was very careful, meaning slow, when it was delivered and we did the same on its return. By road less of a problem, I agree, now that I see that Oregon is just two states south of Vancouver.

    in reply to: Position of Harp 2 in the orchestra #221124
    Alison
    Participant

    The single bars go by very fast in Neptune, when you are adding colour with sweeping chromatic broken chords you would be advised to create a 2nd part with just your notes in because turning those pages is very difficult. You also have a few very exposed bars ear
    Ier in Neptune, doubling with flute melody, the figure and fingering tricky and even though I listened to it last night and loved it. A long time ago, once I knew the work well enough I went through the double part and created separate, largely independent, parts. A very interesting scientific review of each planet was provided in the UK’s radio 3 performance last night. Both Voyagers still transmitting back to earth, voyager 2 did a fine job on the planets.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000kfx

    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Alison.
    in reply to: Tuning new pedal harp #221123
    Alison
    Participant

    You should allow about 3 weeks to gradually bring the harp up to pitch. So do for example the C’s sound at the pitch of A’s or G’s ?

    in reply to: Daphne EX or Chicago CG? Please help! #220843
    Alison
    Participant

    BTW Morley’s have imported Salvi’s and possibly Lyon and Healys so have Daphne’s etc

    in reply to: Daphne EX or Chicago CG? Please help! #220839
    Alison
    Participant

    There is one snag to the UKs assisted purchase scheme, which came to light !ast year : you have to be learning in a state school and taking the instrument into school, so I hope you can substantiate this. As I teach someone privately she couldn’t get past this red tape.

    in reply to: Daphne EX or Chicago CG? Please help! #220808
    Alison
    Participant

    You have to play them yourself, to establish whether the feel, spacing and tone are right for you.

    in reply to: Help please: High School Level Harp Parts #220673
    Alison
    Participant

    Look at the PDF of Holywell music’s catalogue about 10 years old there is an orchestral section. Also I just found this sensible article :
    https://www.ilasta.com/article/a-harp-in-the-orchestra/

    in reply to: Sewing a dust cover. #220182
    Alison
    Participant

    I had made a couple of liners for pedal harp transport covers before, as you say, and found horse canvas and sail cover canvas perfect and not too tough to sew. I noticed over the years that they both slip on top first, column end before knee end, so this time I have sewn up the front edge and will put the ties on the back opening – counter intuitive but as I find my harps get dusty at the base and on the soundboard, I think this will work better. I reckon a tailor, haberdasher or an upholsterer would make light work of the job !

    in reply to: New recording I did. #220057
    Alison
    Participant

    Hearpe, Basel is a Syrian professeur of harp who had to take cover, sit it out and then flee the city of Homs with only the clothes on his back, so he lost everything including his instruments. It takes time to recover and get reestablished in a new foreign country & culture etc. My summary might have inaccuracies so apologies to Basel.

    in reply to: Listening recommendations please! #219957
    Alison
    Participant

    When you are able to study or simply want to listen this is one of the most loveliest duos in the repertoire, so now I think Santa Barbara must be a fantastic place having twice got as far as LA and Santa Monica. https://youtu.be/6JdVBULKACg

    in reply to: grade 2 piano first #219895
    Alison
    Participant

    Tomorrow a 72 year old grade 8 pianist is coming to see me, she’s finding the harp more tricky than she had imagined and once school resumes I have a 10 year old pianist who has been waiting 6 years to play the harp and obliged to play piano first so all very interesting…

    in reply to: grade 2 piano first #219894
    Alison
    Participant

    4 years later and I am returning to this topic. I have been teaching a piano grade 5 teenager who wants also to play the harp in orchestra, now that’s an interesting reason for starting out. So in a record 9 months she has made the transition from hands that could not play to a very accurate and careful player who still lacks the strength to perform. Her reading is excellent but acquiring harp skills cannot be hurried, playing 3 fingered straight chords needs developing, in scales her 4th finger would crash into her 3rd & she found spread chords in the right hand counter intuitive. However her patience and easy familiarity with the harp’s string pattern and compass are great and as a piano to harp guinea pig we have found out what the commonalities and the differences are. She’s very lucky to he moving onto a local orchestral centre for youngsters which provides a pedal harp and a graduated introduction to orchestral works.

    in reply to: Listening recommendations please! #219893
    Alison
    Participant

    Watch Emmanuel playing Impromptu Caprice, fantastique ! https://youtu.be/r3xvVw9vPF8

    in reply to: Playing w thumb collapse #219755
    Alison
    Participant

    This is my reason for avoiding a smartphone, so not a lame excuse.

    in reply to: Playing w thumb collapse #219718
    Alison
    Participant

    I’m getting occasional twinges in my thumbs which can last a few days I suspect due to over use of the swiping action on a tablet. It is a warning to all of us to work protectively.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 489 total)