harpcolumn

Why are square backed harps harder to play than round backed harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Why are square backed harps harder to play than round backed harps?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mia-strayer
    Participant

My harp teacher has several dusty strings lever harps & I can’t play any of them, but I can play her pedal harp
    I want to know, why are square backed harps harder to play than round backed harps?
    thanks for the help

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Hi Mia,
    I don’t have any experience with square-backed harps, but I’m guessing it’s a comfort issue… perhaps the rounded back of the harp just places easier into your shoulder. (I’m not too sure how you’d classify my Triplett harp – it’s somewhere between square and round!) Maybe someone else will have some ideas for your question.

andee-craig
    Participant

I play a Dusty Strings but I don’t find the square back to be a problem. However, I’ve never really played anything else for any length of time. Maybe the round back is easier to get your arms around (smoother, no edges).

Dusty Strings are very wide at the top. I have a Square back Thormahlen Serenade that is much easier to reach around than even a stave backed Dusty.

deb-l
    Participant

I never understood why my stave backed Dusty feels like a larger harp than it is. I didn’t notice that it’s wider at the top. It makes a difference to sit at exactly the right height, If I sit a little too low it’s awkward. Guess I know why that is now : )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies