what kind of harp should I buy

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #159818

I want to start learning how to play the harp but there are so many different kinds of brand and harps I have no clue where to start. Can someone give me some pointer please.

Also any DVDs/books that are good for beginners cause there isn’t any harpist around where I live for me to take actual lessons.

My price range is below 1000$. Maybe 2000$ depending on recommendation. More than 26 string

I been looking around and some have recommended the Harpsicle brand but there 4 different kinds Harpsicle Sharpsicle Sharpsicle Fullsicle

Also Dusty String but there like a list of different kinds for that brand to

Participant
    Rachel on #159819

If you want more than 26 strings and want to buy a new harp, you will probably need to spend over $1,000.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #159820

Where are you, Vivian? Most people who come here and say there aren’t any local teachers just haven’t known how to find the right people.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #159821

To some extent, what harp you buy will depend on the kind of music you ultimately want to play as well.

Participant
    Amanda Welsh on #159822

Audrey,
    Do you have full levers on your Ravenna? I’m looking at buying one as my first harp, but I can’t decide on full levers or not. I’m thinking C and F levers should be okay to start, but I’m not sure how long before I might need or want more. Since you’ve been playing it a while, maybe you can let me know your experience.

Participant
    unknown-user on #159823

I live in tampa, florida but I am closer to brandon, florida 33619

Participant
    unknown-user on #159824

I am interested in folk, Scottish, Irish song….not interested in jazz.

Participant
    unknown-user on #159825

So 26 string is pretty decent? Which brand is best for folk scottish irish type of music?
    I am looking for somethign 26 or higher but if 26 is decent I can go with that since I’m on a tight budget.

Participant
    andy-b on #159826

Hi, Vivian;

I believe that Harps International has a location in St. Petersburg. Here is a link with the contact information. They can probably also connect you to any teachers in your immediate area. Hope this helps!

http://www.harps-international.com/contact.htm

Andy

Participant
    unknown-user on #159827

that is awesome. I kept looking online and couldn’t find anything and then I found this forum

Participant
    Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #159829

Hello Vivian,

I have mentioned this previously on

Participant
    unknown-user on #159830

What site is it on?

Participant
    Geri McQuillen on #159831

Try http://www.harpsales.com

Participant
    Zen Sojourner on #159832

I don’t mention the Denwar when I’m talking harps because in the first place, he’s in Australia so there’s import stuff to deal with – customs, shipping, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.