harpcolumn

What I hate about being a harpist

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break What I hate about being a harpist

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

i hate that i dress sizes 10-12, but if you were to take a look at my fingers on their own, you would think i’m a size 22-24

michael-steadman
    Participant

I hate carrying my pedal harp up and down the stairs from my third floor flat!

amy-walts
    Participant

I hate heavy doors at gig locations that don’t stay open on their own. It’s so hard to wheel a pedal harp through a door that won’t stay open.

I hate shoulder welts (or as they are affectionately known around here, “shoulder hickies”) from carrying lever harps too far.

I hate not having a dining room anymore since the harps and their stuff took over (I finally gave up and put the furniture in storage)!

I hate the adventure of climate controlling a one-hundred-year-old house in an area where it’s 100 humid degrees in the summer and 10 dry degrees in the winter.

I hate brides who insist the outdoor wedding continue as planned even when it’s dumping down rain or snow.

But you know… when I think back to my pre-harp days, when I wanted to play more than anything, I remember swearing I could never hate anything about it. I would do ANYTHING to be a harpist. So all those things I said I hated… I take it back… Except the rainy brides…!! 😉

unknown-user
    Participant

I hate that by now i take it for granted that i will find the harp at concert venue and don’t have to carry it around…this might sound good… but yesterday i picked up an antique Amati violin to do some guilding works on its back and side… and as i was driving i just passed a flowershop, and stopped to purchase and forgot the violin for an hour or so at the back of my car.

unknown-user
    Participant

I know this was an old thread, but I agreed with what everyone was saying!

I hate how bumping your hands or getting a paper cut feels like a life or death matter as you quickly check to see how “deep” the injury has gone.

Or when I want to move my petite pedal harp and have to ask my dad to help me load it since the upper body strength of a 17 year old petite girl is not enough. =_=

And I hate when people (especially kids, even though I love them) come up and start pushing the pedals and bumping the harp around like IT DIDN’T COST OVER $10,000 DOLLARS!!!!!

Any other harpist blues? 😉

shannon-schumann
    Participant

I hate that people constantly ask me if I’m a massage therapist when they see me with my Harpsicle bag.

When I’m with my R harp, I can see it, but a Harpsicle? Who do I massage – midgets? Myabe cats.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

What I hate is constantly tuning, and worrying about being in tune, and carrying the harp over icy paths or snowbanks, or up winding stairs to choir lifts in ancient churches. And I hate the constant question “how much does one of these things cost?”

kent-vogel
    Participant

Could you please tell me how you bought it and how you got monthly payments?

Sadly, those five years

Alison
    Participant

I am beginning to tire of putting the covers and dolly on and off three times a trip, on to go,

Maria Myers
    Participant

Briggs doesn’t post in this column anymore.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.