harpcolumn

Salzedo’s own technique

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Salzedo’s own technique

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I just joined this web-site having been inspired by Amanda Acosta, my live-in Costa Rican IUSB harp performance major! I have hastily read some of the answers to your question.

unknown-user
    Participant

Carl,

unknown-user
    Participant

I recently gathered the impression, and I don’t remember from where, that Salzedo may have occasionally played with straight fingers rather than curved, which seems helpful to avoid buzzes. But this is not allowing the knuckles to collapse at all, the fingers have to be very strong. It just goes to show the adaptability of a strong technique to accomodate various necessities. I do find that when I play something by a 19th-century harpist I tend to gravitate to letting my right arm touch the sounding board, as I feel this to be part of the patterns they chose as an outgrowth of their posture. It is wonderful to hear Suzanne Davids’ input as I have grown up with her students, Don Hilsberg in particular.

unknown-user
    Participant

I would like to say something my first teacher,spanish harpist Lea Bach,a Hasselmans’ student;contradictions on “inward/outward knucles” always was there and herself testify that in her harp beginning in Paris.This is my first response in this forum and,in despite of I believe this discussion on harp tecnique very profitable,in my country,harpists are well acquainted with divergences,in a dispassionate way,I mean.Let me tell you I spent many years playng in Grandjany technique(because almost all harp teachers in Brazil teaching this one)but I moved to Salzedo after I met an Salzedo harp teacher.It was some hard to start(knucles outward,higher left arm,ascending gestures,at all)but I fell a lot of philosofical basis behind Salzedo ideas and my sound producing improves a lot.Today,I have my own students and they haven’t any problems on Salzedo way.I believe on importance of initial lessons and teachers that really comprehends they are teaching.I apologize about bad english ,’cause this isn’t my first language.Thanks,Saul,on your responses;there are lots of important information by you in there.H?lio Leite,Brazil.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies