harpcolumn

Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Maria Myers
    Participant

Shelby,

What do you mean by “color”?

darth-mom
    Participant

In weather like this, what is on my music stand is a lot of spare strings.

shelby-m
    Participant

How do I explain?

Maria Myers
    Participant

It sounds like you’re saying that tone color involves thinking about variations along a color spectrum

tony-morosco
    Participant

Currently I’m working out my own arrangement of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

helen-rudd
    Participant

Shelby,
    For furniture you could try tin foil. My cats were clawing everything and for a few weeks I covered all their favorite scratching spots with tinfoil. It stopped them quickly but I left it on for a while and provided a tantalizing sissal (sp?) tree for them to claw instead and they’ve never gone back to the couch, chairs and sideboard they used to delight in ripping to shred.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

That’s wonderful!!

Tony, I would love to learn this song.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Stan, you flashed me back to my childhood when you talked about playing the Hammond organ in bars and restaurants. I studied organ for several years as a child (I’m 58 now so you know my time frame). Do you remember the beautiful organist in the movies named Ethel Smith? And how about the mysterious Korla Pandit? Just did a google search and found them both. No organ for me anymore, but I do love the harp so much. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

tony-morosco
    Participant

I actually started with a piano arrangement I found on Musicnotes.com and then stripped it down to the bare essentials and rebuilt it from that.

It really has a lot of potential on the harp, although I am trying to come up with my own unique solo for it, like writing my own cadenza, and that is the most challenging part. I want it to echo the original but be my own.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I’ve done the same thing, but with “Stairway to Heaven”.

Do you use a music software program to write down what you create, or are your arrangements all in your mind only?

tony-morosco
    Participant

A

shelby-m
    Participant

Yes, I actually do think about the color I’m trying to achieve in my tone while playing.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Shelby,

Thanks so much for your help!

shelby-m
    Participant

No problem! :-)

stan-guy
    Participant

HI, Kathy —

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.