harpcolumn

portable harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories portable harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    jennifer-ogan
    Participant

I have played a concert grand sized pedal harp for several years, and am now thinking of buying a smaller, more portable harp. Right now, I am considering the Dusty Strings Ravenna 26/Allegro 26/FH26, as well as the Christina Triplett. I don’t want to spend more money than is necessary, but also want to find a great harp. I would love to read other people’s assessments about the various choices and how much better the more expensive harps are.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

I am a pedal harpist too and I have played my friend’s Ravenna 34 (in multiple 3-hour afternoon rehearsal sessions) and I own a Triplett Christina. I’ve also practiced on a Ravenna 26 for a week in Alaska before a church service performance.

My experience has been that I consistently had trouble “over-playing” (plucking too hard) on both of the Ravenna’s. The tension on the Triplett Christina is a little tighter and I don’t ever have that problem. I switch back and forth between my pedal harp, a Triplett Catalina and my Triplett Christina multiple times a day in practice sessions and my work as a healing musician, so I’m used to playing different harps. My personal preference is that I would never buy a Ravenna for myself unless I completely quite playing my pedal harp.

— Alice in windy Wyoming (http://windandroses.com)

alice-freeman
    Spectator

That’s supposed to be “complete QUIT playing my pedal harp” …

— Alice in windy Wyoming (http://windandroses.com)

sherry-lenox
    Participant

You might like Lewis Creek harps. The tension on the Nightingale is fairly high fora small harp and they sound very good.

andy-b
    Participant

On a recent showroom trip,

jennifer-ogan
    Participant

After more research, it seems like the Nightingale might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestions. To think I originally planned to buy a Harpsicle — in for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.

Nat Shaw
    Participant

Just curious,

Nat Shaw
    Participant

Sorry, I understand now, you were looking at the Christina.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I too own a Nightingale and have nothing but good things to say about it! They are wonderful harps, lightweight and very portable, the sound is incredible and they look very beautiful too. They are definitely more expensive than the small Dusty harps, but, in my opinion, the Nightingale is also a much better instrument, in addition to being lighter and more portable. The Nightingale is the only lap harp I know with 27 strings. I’d suggest getting it with full Truitt levers and a matching knee bone. Jeff Lewis is a wonderful craftsmans and is great to deal with. He will also send you soundclips or match you up with somebody in your area who has one, so you can go and play it yourself. Good luck!

Michaela

laura-palmieri
    Participant

If you haven’t already bought the other harp I highly recommend the Webster Harps. I have been playing pedal harps since I was ten and really didn’t want to

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

I’m with Laura! I’ve played a L&H Style 85GP for the past few years and also wanted a more portable harp. I got my Webster McFall harp in November. There is very little difference in playing the Webster and L&H. I can switch between the two with no trouble at all! In fact, the Webster McFall has more volume than the L&H and a clear, full tone.

Hi There

The Triplett Christina is a great harp – but for a higher tension still try the Triplett Zephyr – this is a great travel harp with almost concert tension strings and with a full set of Camac levers very versatile too!

ac-spyrou
    Participant

Hello, I’m new here. i’m looking for a small harp as well. A size I could take with me on hikes and play in the mountains. I don’t play harp but I’d love to get started.

I agree with the Webster harp recommendations. I bought mine at the AHS Conference in 2008. It’s been a great little harp.

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

Hi there, I play pedal, but have a Dusty Allegro, and I have a Triplett Zephyr, both of which I love. I have no trouble switching back and forth between them. Within a couple of minutes, I adjust. My Allegro has a nice, resonant sound, and I love the legs, which make it much easier to play than using a lap bar. And the bag has a compartment for the legs, making everything nice and tidy. I take my Zephyr when I travel overseas. It is great, but of course the range is very limited, and the strings are quite close together, so it takes a little bit to adjust to, but again, not to long. Good luck on your quest!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies