harpcolumn

portable harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories portable harp

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jennifer, and other players who use pedal harp and now want something more portable, consider the Dilling, now called Douglas Harp. These are hand made in Port Charlotte, Florida by Arsalaan Douglas Fay, who holds patents on this single-action harp mechanism, built into the harmonic curve of the harp. Mine has 33 strings, but only needs 7 levers, and it is so convenient to take to smaller venues. You may find the newer models might have even more improvements than mine, 25 years old. Anyone who is used to pedal harp will probably feel too limited without such easy access, with either hand, to accidentals gained with just a quick lever change. Performing and recording harpists using this model include Emily Mitchell, Erik Berglund, Paul Hurst, and the late DeWayne Fulton. By clicking Arsalaan Douglas Fay, Florida, you will find these links, and one lists a Douglas Harp reduced in price by $500. At least check it out, or e-mail Mr. Fay at: harps@helbing.net.

Arsalaan Douglas Fay | LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/arsalaan-douglas-fay/3a/b41/587

ellen-beckerman
    Participant

I just watched Asalann Fay’s youtube about this harp and it looks SUPER COOL! I wish I had known about this harp when I was looking. What a brilliant design. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2NsuY-EQk

deb-l
    Participant

The Aziliz is small enough to take out into nature, maybe a little to big for up a mountain, but it does offer full range.

andra-riffle
    Participant

I have a Triplett Zephyr travel harp for sale. I just posted it to this site; am waiting for the Classifieds Administrator to review it. It will also be listed on Ebay beginning this Friday March 7 (lots of photos there). If you are interested, please check the classifieds in a few days. Thanks, and happy harping to you!

randal
    Participant

Andra–if you please, what is the string spacing on the Zephyr? The Triplett website doesn’t provide such info

andra-riffle
    Participant

Hi – the spacing on the Zephyr is a little closer than normal for a lever harp – I don’t have a measurement to offer. The harp sold within a few hours of posting it to Ebay and is already on its way to a new owner. Maybe I priced it too low, but not complaining : )

jinyang-chung
    Participant

Oh, Andra, I am the lucky guy who bought your Zephyr. I got yours in ebay. I was desperately looking for a travel harp avilable in a cabin of airplain so that I can use it on travel in April. Actually I was mailing with Triplett for buying one of small harps.
    I got the harp in safe. I heartly appreciate for your kind effort for protection.

Here is South Korea; I got the harp by an import agency. Shipping and survice charge was huge, but the Zephyr is beautiful enough to compansate it.

randal w – Roughly comparing to that of one octave from the middle C of Cresendo 34 by Dusty Strings, Zephyr has about a half inch shorter interval in the equivalent range ( the Lowest octave). I will let you know the exact string spacing of the Zephyr.

jinyang-chung
    Participant

It is ~ 90.9 mm from outside of the lowest C string to the outside of the next C string. Diameter of the string is 1.25 mm.

For comparison, Dusty string Crescendo has 100.8 mm in the same range.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies