harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

But who is manufacturing to order? And if all nylon are Tynex, then why are Pirastro’s of better quality? No, we must get Pirastro to make them again. It is too complicated to order strings than in a simple way.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Tacye:

Can you

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Sorry ..this is a wrong info I made

>Bow Brand is Nylon (Nylon 6.6

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you Bernhard,

That post clarified a lot for me. I agree with you that it is misleading to name a string synthetic gut, when it has nothing to do with gut? My harp has bowbrand on it right now:

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Saul- Through using both Pirastro and Savarez strings on various violins/violas I have noted that Pirastro is one of the very few companies producing anything that actually does improve on its products when it says so. Haven’t they recommended anything to replace the strings you’re looking for?

Also, Savarez strings are sometimes very hard to get here in the US. I was told once that they have some restrictions on what they release to certain countries and what they only sell in limited areas. I think there is a middle man between the company and retailers. This may happen all the time but I only wound up having problems with it trying to acquire a certain size string.

I know this post is full of generalizations, but if they apply to something you are looking for, the generalizations become important to you. Does that make sense?

unknown-user
    Participant

Generally speaking, it makes sense in general. I generally am sick of companies that supply artists, and decide to eliminate a product we may depend on for our art for no apparently good reason. If heavy-gauge strings did not sell, it is because they did nothing to promote it here, nobody knew they existed, but Karen Rokos, and nobody said how to use them but her. They are already making strings, so how much trouble could it be to make one batch and have them sit on a shelf for when they are needed? They make raw gut strings, but how many people use them? It is beyond aggravating. Bow Brand is not capable of making strings in any other diameter than what they do. I don’t remember what they were like, but perhaps I’ll go back to them and turn my back on Pirastro. In the meanwhile, I have a few odd heavy strings which I can’t use, not being a set. What should I make with them?

unknown-user
    Participant

Here’s a thought: Bernhard, why don’t you start selling strings? That way, you can hire Pirastro to make them for you, and you sell them with your expertise? I guess I would if I had the capital.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

No I will for sure not go in to the string business. Life is hard enough as a harpmaker.
    But honestly said, who says they still could manufacture this strings at all.
    No one of the big seller are manufacture of Nylon strings. They buy a big, avery big quantity.

unknown-user
    Participant

Wow, we had no idea. That only leaves the question of why is there any difference at all between D’Addario, Bow, Artist

unknown-user
    Participant

The difference in using heavy strings is twofold: because they are slightly thicker, they move less in response to pressure, so there is less twang and they can be played more loudly; they last longer and hold pitch better being stronger. They don’t change the tone of

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Hallo Saul,

today I found old records from many years back and there is written that the spezific weight from Pirastro strings where a little higher than the nylon of the other nylon strings from other brands. They had so many years before allready a nylon material which was a little bit in to the direction of the way the carbon strings go.
    Imagine this….

unknown-user
    Participant

It only gets more puzzling. Carbon infiltrating the nylon? Or is it calcium?

Now, here’s another puzzle. The last time I ordered a set of wire strings, always silver and copper, I received a 6th octave C string that was brass, not copper. It is also thicker. What difference will this make on my harp? Will it pull more? It sounds not bad, it has some kind of brilliance. Will it tarnish slower than copper? What are the red and black wire strings made of, nickle or brass?

unknown-user
    Participant

So, Herr Bernhard, do you happen to know which division of DuPont manufactures Tynex, to see about ordering directly from them? Perhaps I will market a heavier-gauge line of strings.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Hallo Saul,

you did not give up ?

Here is

unknown-user
    Participant

We’ll see what happens. i’ll let you know.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.