harpcolumn

looking to buy a harp…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists looking to buy a harp…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I think he was able to back out of buying the EMS harp.

Audrey

unknown-user
    Participant

yup. I was able to back out

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Yes, full set of levers means that all of the strings have levers. You should listen to the sound clip and decide whether it’s the sound you want before buying, although I’m sure you’ve already done that. Maybe compare it with the sounds of other harps. I bought a harp almost a year ago, and have realised later that what I really want is a warmer, fuller sound. So even though I love my harp, I have to save up for a more expensive lever harp, which will take me a long time.

Rachel
    Participant

Don’t get too caught up on having 38 strings versus 36 strings. Make sure the string tension is what you want and that the sound is what you want.

unknown-user
    Participant

what purpose does string tension serve?

Liam M
    Participant

The style of the harp and the luthier’s design will establish the tension. If you plan on migrating to another style or design, you want to develop your technique on an instrument with a similar tension.

Harps are quite sensitive to the way the strings are struck and the resulting sound from a bad strike is not always pleasant, so you develop and approach and exit to the string which provides the most pleasing tone. The exit in particular is affected by string tension.

There also is a different movement of the string depending on the tension, which along with length and mass per length determines the note or frequency at which the string vibrates when struck.

As to full levers…. I am truly curious why would anyone want an E# or a B#?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>I am truly curious why would anyone want an E# or a B#

You don’t have those unless you tune in C, Liam. Full levers means the ability to raise each note one half step by raising the lever, or to lower it by lowering a raised lever. That means you would have Bb/B natural and Eb/E natural.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

if you tune in E-flat, that is.

Donna O
    Participant

Liam,
    I am currently working on a piece by Susan McDonald that requires exactly what Barbara is talking about.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Donna, for future reference, it’s going to be easier in the long run to transpose the piece to a key you can play in in E-flat.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I meant a key you can play in with the harp tuned in E-flat. If you want to play several pieces later on, are you going to stop and retune the whole harp in-between? If you have a teacher, she should be able to figure out what to do, if you don’t know how. Remember you can substitute a glissando with G# and D#, for example.

Rachel
    Participant

Back to string tension, if you really like the sound of the pedal harp, that might be related to string tension, which is often higher in pedal harps than some levers harp.

Donna O
    Participant

Barb,

Thanks for the suggestion.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Is this one of the pieces from Harp Olympics? Which one?

Donna O
    Participant

It’s actually from Harp Solos (graded)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies