harpcolumn

L&H Style 150

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories L&H Style 150

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    eliza-morrison
    Participant

I was hoping for something really original. Salvi has some unique designs out there: the Scolpita, the Apollo, etc. There’s also the Thurau Bauhaus and Javelot, which are clean and elegant yet exceptionally creative (in my opinion). I didn’t realize L&H made an anniversary harp in 1989; I’d love to see a picture of it, too! I’d also love to hear from anyone on this thread who is in love with the Style 150 and/or intends to buy one.
    Interesting, colorful soundboard art might have helped make the 150 a little more special….I’ll try to post a photo of the beautiful Javelot. I’m kind of a techno-peasant, but here goes…

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Also, the 100th Anniversary yielded the beautiful Style 100, which is still in production and is one of my favorite harp designs of all time. I can remember the stir it caused when it was (relatively) new.

I was excited when I first heard about the 150th anniversary harp. It would have been a pleasure to see if they had created something new and beautiful – but they came up with this? I’m curious as to why L&H thought they needed yet another plain brown harp.

I also hate the flat, cloudy finish that is being put on the harps they have been producing for the last several years. The finish makes the wood look dead and cheap. What happened to that beautiful hand-rubbed sheen that gave the wood dimension and a depth you could look into? I recently saw a L&H special model which was purchased by an acquaintance. The harp had a beautiful gold column and a horribly flat-finished bubinga veneer. I would think spending $70,000.00 would at least entitle you to a beautiful finish.

kreig-kitts

Some of the glossier wood finishes have high amounts of Volatile Organic Compounds, and I believe some places have restricted their use due to workers’ health concerns, so some changes in the finish could be because the previous materials are no longer available. But I would be curious to know whether there has even a shift in customer demand toward matte finishes. They’re perceived as easier to maintain, and some people like the more natural wood appearance.

erin-wood
    Participant

Wow, that Thurau harp is unique and gorgeous. Does anyone play these in the US?

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I didn’t mean to post the Thurau twice—sorry! Erin, I don’t think they are played much, if at all, in the States. I can’t get an exact price for this harp, maybe due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, but when I did some calculations a couple of years ago, it came out to be wildly expensive. It is so beautiful. It reminds me of delicious caramel or something.
    Kreig and Evelyn, I actually prefer a glossier finish too, but can understand someone wanting a more natural looking wood. I saw on one of the harp manufacturers’ websites recently that they charge an additional $1,000 for “high gloss.”

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I don’t think that matte finish is more ‘natural’ looking at all.

EDIT Well, maybe compared to the old Salvi heavy poly finish, but not compared to any of the finishes L&H used before it.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

I love the look of the Javelot!

Andelin
    Participant

I am hoping someone can comment a little more on how it sounds. How I would love to go see it! (It has been many years since I have played a pedal harp so I’m not sure I could give a good review here, even if I did see it.) I think it is a beautiful harp (as does my 3 year old, lol. I wish I could put into words his adorable response when he saw the picture on the computer) but I also admit it does kind of lack a “wow factor.” I like simple, clean lines and this one definitely has that. But when I finally buy a pedal harp, the sound of it will definitely come before looks or color, or even brand, to a point.

While people are mentioning beautiful harps, I remember years ago seeing an aoyama that was featured on a pamphlet of theirs. I don’t remember the name of it but it had beautiful floral carving spiraling all the way down t he column. Maybe someone else will know what it is called.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Was it the Aoyama Apollon?

Andelin
    Participant

Yes, I think that is the one. So pretty! Some harps are almost too ornate…but I love that one. *sigh* I will own a pedal harp someday. :). Thanks for posting the picture. 🙂

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Aoyama has some unique designs. I especially love the soundboard on the Princess Sakura. I’ve never seen anything like it!

eliza-morrison
    Participant

You can sort of see it here:

eliza-morrison
    Participant

And a better view of a detail here:

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Eliza, that is a beautifully designed soundboard, and one I hadn’t seen.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.