harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

Since I’ve decided to start learning the harp, I’ve decided on getting the Ravenna 26. My question is whether I really need to buy the levers with the harp or not, since getting the levers would raise the price a lot (I have a very limited budget). I know I can always add the levers later for the Ravenna, but is that process hard? Also, I’ve read different opinions on the loveland levers, so I’m not sure if I should get it with the harp. Any advice? Thanks!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

If you possibly can, I’d get C and F levers right off.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

If possible I would also get the B levers, as many Celtic and Irish folk songs feature B flat.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

While I don’t love loveland levers for the most part, they work very well on the dustys. I wouldn’t be concerned about them for use on the Ravenna–they’re just fine. It’s on gut and higher tensioned harps where their performance is lackluster.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Jenny,
    Have you at all considered other harp makers?

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

…. opps, I pushed th “Post” button too soon!

I encourage you to consider other harp makers and compare them to Dusty Strings. Both Lewis Creek Instruments and Heartland Harps make smaller harp models, which are far superior to Dusty Strings harps in both tone and craftsmanship. In my opinion, you simply cannot compare them to Dusty, who are mass-manufactured. Loveland levers are pretty much out of date these days…, they are made out of plastic and break easily. Most harp makers will not install them anymore (they use Truitts or Camac levers instead). To me, the fact that Dusty is still installing these levers, is a sign that they have not caught up with the times, so why throw your money at something that is out of date?

Michaela

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

What’s wrong with the Ravenna?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I agree. The other makers also make good harps, but I wouldn’t say that in that price range they are “superior”, just different.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I don’t think that either of those makers make a starter harp in the price range of the Ravenna 26.

Jenny, I’ve had several professionals play my Ravenna, and they’ve all been impressed by the outstanding tone and overall quality.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Oh, and I’ve yet to break a lever either.

Audrey

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Jesus, Mary, Joseph!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Lewis Creek’s closest harp to the Ravenna is $1350 with C and F levers, and is a lightly strung therapy harp.

If you’re teacher is flexible, you should be able to work without levers for a while.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

As the saying goes, Audrey, you get what you pay for!

Take the time to play and compare the various harps and you will hear and feel the difference yourself. It all depends on what you’re looking for. I’ve known quite a few people who started out with Dusty harps just to trade them in a year or two later and ended up paying more in the long run.

If someone is starting out on a budget, I would recommend renting a harp until you can afford buying a quality instrument that will last you a life time.

That is the advice I was given when I started out and it has served me well. Of course, we are all entitled to our personal opinions!

Also, a word on the quality of Loveland levers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies