harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Li

Thank you guys for all the advice! Let me just clarify why I decided on the Dusty. The main problem I have is that there are no harp stores or harp teachers anywhere near me, so I’m all on my own here and can’t rent or try any harps. Also, since I’m still in college, I don’t have time to drive to another state to try out the different harps. That, together with the limited budget, made me decide to buy the Ravenna, which I know has gotten pretty good reviews.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

You won’t regret the decision.

Rachel
    Participant

I have a Ravenna 26 that I use as a rental harp for beginning students.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

I am glad to hear how much you like your harp, Audrey. This topic must have kept you up all night…, I couldn’t help but notice the time stamp on your response.

One of the reasons I am a member of this forum, is because I value various people’s input. I personally have posted a few times when I was seeking advice on various issues, “Levers” being one of them. I was grateful and valued people’s input and have often found that opinions do vary greatly.

I think as members of a forum like this, it is important to respect that. I can much relate to Jenni, as I did a

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>nd there is a good reason why their harps are cheaper, because the craftsmanship simply does not compare to those of the other harp makers.

I have to take issue with that. Dusty makes excellent consistent harps, which is why they are so popular. You may prefer a more “handcrafted” sort of instruments, but it’s not fair to diss the quality of dustys. It’s a taste thing, not an objective thing. And dusty’s support is superb and then some.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

And I should mention that I myself don’t own a dusty. But I’d never ever try to discourage anyone from buying one, because they are splendid little harps. Of course a ravenna is not in the same league as an 36 string stave back, but in its range it is an excellent option.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Michaela,

Triplett, Dusty and Thormahlen all make good lever harps.

Rachel
    Participant

I’d have to echo Barabara’s thoughts.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Another thing to keep in mind is that most musical instruments, including some we think of as exceptionally fine instruments, are made in factories.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

I agree Audrey, and happily let you have the last word on this!

The beauty of a forum like this that we can all learn about all that pertains to the harp, including the large number of harp makers that are out there, so everyone can make an informed decision about what suits them best.

Maria Myers
    Participant

In order to let someone have the last word, you have to stop talking about the topic.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.