harpcolumn

Learning Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Learning Harp

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Susan Beal

oops–make that “synchronistically” ( or however the heck you spell “in a synchronistic manner”).

Chris Asmann
    Participant

I’m just guessing, but there’s a possibility that mechanical limitations are the reason. Adjacent strings’ mechanisms might have problems if their linkages and rods travel alongside each other throughout the mechanism. It’s an interesting question, I’ll bet this was well explored when the pedal harp was developed and a little reasearch will turn up the answer.

mel-l
    Participant

I don’t really know, but they seem to follow a certain logic regarding the 5ths cycle if you go from the extremes AD GC etc…I dont’ know, just an observation !

tony-morosco
    Participant

As I mention in the thread that has been linked here, the fact that they alternate by fifths seems a deliberate things to me. It makes modulating through the keys by alternating left to right make much more sense. Keys proceed by fifths, and the pedals on the harp alternate back and forth by fifths. I can’t imagine that was coincidence or wasn’t developed with practical application in mind.

andy-b
    Participant

I think I vaguely remember someone (Carl, possibly?) saying something

don-hilsberg
    Participant

The origins of the pedal order stem from the most commonly used accidentals.

unknown-user
    Participant

Dear Susan,
    Welcome to this wondrous world of the harp! I’m excited for you that you now have 2 harps!

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

Here’s a link to a wonderful article published online by The Harp Spectrum about Internet Harp Lessons (both Pedal Harp and Lever Harp) via SKYPE and other VOIP technologies …

http://www.harpspectrum.org/harpworks/LongDistanceLessons.shtml

Best wishes,

Cynthy

unknown-user
    Participant

hi i know what u feel but i’m in a positions is more more bad than you i’m a egyptian learned the harp at edg of 10 into the conservatory in egypt academy of arts,and got graduated with

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies