harpcolumn

French or Salzedo technique?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists French or Salzedo technique?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

There were indeed many schools of piano playing, the Leschetizky being one of the most famous. A more recent one was created by Dorothy Taubman. The finger position/shape and manner of “attack” could be quite different. Some played with flat fingers, some rounded, some arched, all with quite different results in sound and more suited to some music than others. Even within France there were several schools. There is a wonderful book on French Pianism that gives a great perspective on this. It is so much like the harp. What is different is that we seem to lack tolerance, and tend to want to lump everyone together, which seems parochial. Perhaps it’s because there are so many fewer of us. There are also schools of singing, flute playing, ballet dancing, etc. Whenever there is a great teacher a school tends to follow. I have seen harpists succeed whose technique defies their anatomy, perhaps they won’t last as long, time will tell. There is a great variety in approaches, and similarity with the Salzedo school I see happening because some of its ideas like raising have spread. I would just like to restate that I see Salzedo as a French school, another one alongside the others. I have a direct lineage to Hasselmans, DeBeriot/Chopin and other great French musicians and composers. I feel my music-making, performing or composing, is more French than American. Except that Lyon & Healys come from Chicago.

unknown-user
    Participant

Sigh!

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies