harpcolumn

Computerized music notation

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Computerized music notation

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Dearest Catherine- I can beat ANYONE on the dumbness scale when it comes to anything having to do with computers or electronics. I have two computer guru’s that I totally depend on to get me out of trouble when something doesn’t work on my computer, which is often. I also have a gift for accidentally hitting a button and everything on the screen disappearing, and I can’t find it again. Having said that, I’m going to continue asking questions and getting information about this. I have a whole list of projects that I want to do and in the end, I think it would be valuable if I could do this on a computer. Sam Milligan, in his old age became really adept at using a music program. So as I totter into my old age, maybe this is something I should try.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Carl, I know you could do this, just like I could, but my “old age” can do without it, ha, ha! It is so much more enjoyable to practice and play all that beautiful French harp music that you have been editing. Thanks again for all that.

Best,
    Balfour

carl-swanson
    Participant

Balfour,

I know you mentioned somewhere earlier that you had tried “Bells in the Snow” from my Tournier collection, and really liked it. Have you tried any of the others yet? Frankly, the “Ofrande” and “The Eternal Dreamer” are two of my favorites. But I also really like “Moonlight on the lake.” Tournier wrote such gorgeous pieces! And so many of them.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi Carl,

I think my favorite is “The Eternal Dreamer.” It is so satisfying to play it from your edition with all the pedal “reminder charts” so that you can check at those points to see if you have all the pedals in order! The expression in this piece makes it so gorgeous.

I also love “Offrande” because it is so slow, contemplative and peaceful. “Berceuse russe” is another calm, reflective piece. “Bells in the Snow” is so beautiful and ethereal in its dissonance, especially effective with the harmonics on the lower strings. “Au Matin” also has been a long-time favorite of mine and now I am trying to regain my technique to play it a little faster.

I have played through all of the book now, slowly of course, and have enjoyed every minute of it. The clear printing of the scores is easy on the eyes, with pedal changes large enough to see at my age, ha, ha! The glossary of French terms is also most helpful, so that you don’t have to make constant reference to a French-English dictionary. I cannot say enough good things about this book!

Catherine, my wife and I were discussing how we think we have met you in Atlanta. Maybe it was at the Atlanta Harp Center, or at one of my Atlanta concerts?

It is so good to read all the postings, everyone.

Have a great day!
    Balfour

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Dear Balfour, perhaps at the American Harp Society Conference in 2016? I was in charge of registration. Always good to be with friends!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Dear Catherine, I’m so glad you figured that out! I also remember seeing some of your beautiful harp arrangements at the Atlanta Harp Center. Hope all is going well for you.
    Best,
    Balfour

carl-swanson
    Participant

Short update- I’ve been reading tutorials on youtube and taking pages and pages of notes. It’s starting to make sense. I’m going to buy FINALE in probably 2 weeks, when the next several weeks will be completely free to concentrate entirely on this. I also have two FINALE guru’s that I can call with questions. I have to say, I’m really excited about being able to set the music myself, and also being able to play back what I set. That is going to be enormously helpful for a number of the projects I’m planning on doing. As soon as I have set a page that I am happy with, I’ll try posting it here!!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Way to go, Carl! I am happy and excited for you and am looking forward to you posting a sample here.
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

carl-swanson
    Participant

Balfour- As I waded through the tutorials (some of which were really very good, and others not so because the person doing it was going way too fast, or explaining one thing, then doing two other moves without explaining, etc.) I started to see patterns to the processes. I’m sure once I have the program on my computer, it will be slow as molasses at first, and very frustrating. But I have the sense right now that this is something I can learn! Before it’s too late!!

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Carl, this is great news! I think you will enjoy it once you get started. Just be sure to save your work frequently LOL!
    Balfour, thank you for your kind words about my arrangements. I’m working on more but it’s become very difficult lately to get permission from the copyright holders for print versions and very expensive for digital downloads. So I’m on hold for now.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Catherine, you are not alone in this copyright problem. I have heard the same from Angi Bemiss and Sylvia Woods, among other arrangers. I hope you can persevere and get those published, and I deeply admire all of you who do this work. Thanks and thanks!

Best wishes,
    Balfour

carl-swanson
    Participant

Update- I took the plunge and bought FINALE!!! I’ve been looking at the tutorials for weeks now and it was just time to do it. I spent all day today wading through the process, setting little tunes from Sam Pratt’s book. It’s frustrating and slow at the moment, but little by little, I’m making progress. It’s going to be weeks or more though before I’m ready to tackle a piece by Tournier. Stay tuned…

carl-swanson
    Participant

Another update- I bought Finale last Saturday! I spent the first two days setting little pieces, but then took the real plunge and started setting Tournier’s Sonatine, Op 30. It’s been really challenging but I’m making progress. I have about 3/4 of the first movement set now, and it is gradually getting easier. I’m slowly remembering all of the commands that are needed and also getting better about finding (and understanding) the information in the Finale manual.

My biggest break-and I can’t thank him enough-is someone who read my initial post about learning Finale and emailed me privately to tell me that I could call him anytime I need help. OH MY GOD, he has been so helpful, and patient. I talk to him every day and go over my list of questions. I simply can’t imagine trying to learn this without someone to call on who knows the system really well. Because of him, I’m getting more adept at using the whole system, at understanding how the system works, at figuring out on my own solutions to problems that come up, and at finding the information I need on my own. Thank you Bill for all your help!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Carl, that is wonderful news! I’m so glad Bill is helping you, that is so kind of him.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

catherine-rogers
    Participant

Carl, this may sound really old-fashioned, but I keep a little notebook by the computer, and I write in it how to do certain things that I may do only occasionally. It saves me the time and hassle of trying to find the info I need in the Finale manual the next time I have to notate whatever it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies