harpcolumn

Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Dear Song Sparrow,

This was such a coincidence that I just had to tell you this.

unknown-user
    Participant

The posted contribution about cars and prestanda is one of the most sensible I have read this far on this thread that I stumbled into now in Aug 2009 ;-) I am a harp seller, running a small shop in Sweden (another reply is referring to our web page). The funny thing with the sometimes rude and infected debate about Pakis is that VERY FEW

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I have most definitely “met a Paki” (harp, one hopes) in real life.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Zen,

What about Stellan Sagvik’s point that there are different harpmakers in Pakistan?

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

There is only one line of

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Like Zen, I have also “met a few Pakistani harps.”

william-weber
    Participant

Mid-East will replace an obviously defective harp, even one purchased for below list from a discounter. Being a PHSO is not something they would accept as a defect. ;-)

The Mid-East Caitlin, when restrung, can be an adequate harp. Its deep soundbox gives it a deep resonance, and its Pleyel-type 7/5 courses mean no lever troubles.

The EMS Hailey has levers that seem to work. After restringing the tone
    improved, but I still find it thin and nasal, and would expect no
    better of the other EMS Roundbacks. I’m thinking of selling it locally and getting the Blevens Melody I really wanted.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

“I’m thinking of selling it locally and getting the Blevens Melody I really wanted.”

There ya go, just cut out the middleman (harp) and go for the Blevins or another quality harp to begin with, LOL!

As for restringing a PSHO, real harp strings are not cheap.

william-weber
    Participant

The Markwood strings for the Caitlin cost me about $103 IIRC. Laurie (Hill?) at Markwood Heavenly Strings seems to have experience with scaling strings for PHSOs because PakistanMeghan and PakistanHeather are listed on the website as standard string sets. Now she can offer PakistanCaitlin.

A little reaming was required to fit the wound tenor strings. If structural failure needs a couple of years, then I must admit the longevity experiment is incomplete. The Caitlin is the one I set down gently, on carpet, knowing how overstressed it is with all those strings. The Hailey OTOH feels like I could throw it against the wall (which is one way to get some sound out of it) without any harm done.

I think the Caitlin has a solid market niche because if it stays together a couple of years it will be a common gateway to the X-realm.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

I clearly disagree with a few folks here.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Is this the Never-Ending Thread?

Tacye
    Participant

I believe that having this topic discussed serves a very useful purpose as one of the things I hold against these harps is that they are sometimes bought by people who believe they are buying a better instrument than is the case.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Absolutely.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

We’ve kind of discussed this to death, possibly beyond death.

I agree with Zen and Tacye in a way – there is the danger that the beginner will be seduced by the carvings and looks of the inexpensive Pakistani harps into thinking they’re getting more harp than they really are.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for the comic relief. I have tried again and again to ask people not to beat this poor thread to death anymore and it just won&#39t @#** go away. Please people, I so regret starting this thread now. Can we give it a rest. Thanks for everyone who originally posted for their advice. The irony is that I have little time for harp right now being very busy in a country-rock group as keyboardist and backup and some lead vocals (plus a little fiddle for good measure. PS, yeah Michael, don&#39t ask about Internet starter fiddles).

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.