harpcolumn

Any Canadians here?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Any Canadians here?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

well…i’m a born canadian (winnipeg, brandon area) but I live in Europe.
    (vienna, austria)

I’ve been playing for 3 1/2 years and I recently got a salvi aurora!

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m a beginning harpist located in Vancouver, BC. It’s so wonderful to see other people from the Lower Mainland here!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey there!
    I’m a beginner harpist living in Central Alberta.

unknown-user
    Participant

Another Vancouver, BC’er.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi! I’m a harpist from Ottawa, Ont. playing at weddings and restaurants. I’m totally happy doing this!!!
    Louise Ebeltoft

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello Canadians!
    I’m addressing this q to you though maybe I should also post it
    as a new general subject.

We are moving to Toronto in January (from Scotland).

unknown-user
    Participant

I am a beginning harpist living in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. I am interested in purchasing a used Dorman harp as I understand he has retired from harp building. I am also interested in meeting other harpists in the area.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

I’m a harpist in Montreal (Plateau), with a Dusty Strings Ravenna and Limerick MusicMakers wire-strung , both of which I bought from North Art Heritage Music in Salmon Arm, BC, and a second-hand Triplett Christina I bought from a harpist in Quebec City, who ordered it from Ottawa. There are more choices than ever before… and also amazing Canadian luthiers building harps like this one!
    http://www.timothyharps.ca/harpmodels_niamh.htm

hannah-roberts
    Participant

Hi Deb, I play wire-strung harp and there are very few teachers in North America in general. However, many people here work with a Skype teacher… I can recommend Simon Chadwick in St. Andrews, who charges 20 pounds per hour for Skype lessons, the same as his local students.
    A large number of clarsach players in North America import their instruments from
    Ardival in Scotland, so I am also doubtful that there would be any
    comparable instrument available for either hire or purchase to the harp your daughter’s teacher is offering.
    I have a wire-strung harp that is a bit of a hybrid, and I love it, but I can’t say it compares to the bell-like sound of the Scottish-built ones. Plus, it is strung in steel in the upper registers, which players who play with their nails say is very hard on them (I do not play with my nails).
    As well, 1000 pounds is quite a fair price for any well-built harp, and I’m sure you’d have no trouble selling it in Toronto if need be, considering how rare and beautiful the instrument is. People who have played other types of harps can enjoy playing simple tunes on a clarsach without more lessons…

susan-rutherford
    Participant

Hi, I recently moved from Alaska to Victoria after I retired. To celebrate my move, I purchased a lever harp from Gerhard Wanney (www.gerharps.com) on Thetis Island. The more I play it, the more I’m in love with its beautiful sound. I take lessons via skype with Susan Zevenbergen in San Diego. She’s been the perfect teacher for me – always has what I need – whether technique, theory, improv and above all, having fun playing!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies