vincent-pierce

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My five-year old brother wants to learn the harp?!? #111744
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    BTW, I started harp when I was 19 (and I’m only 22) so it’s really nice to know that I can be succesful! Thanks, Carl!
    and Sherry, too!

    in reply to: My five-year old brother wants to learn the harp?!? #111743
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Actually, I forgot my brother just turned six…

    But thanks for the input! I would really like to get him involved in music, and Kodaly/Orff programs sound like a good option, I just don’t know if there are any programs here.
    This was the first time he has played any real instrument, and he’s also fascinated by my bassoon, so really it’s just the novelty of a big crazy-looking instrument for him. I think piano lessons might be the way to go. He needs something on which expend his endless energy!

    in reply to: Music Education Association — #86956
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Perhaps some of the Grandjany pieces, like Three Easy Pieces or Pastorale.

    in reply to: Santa Came Early #111882
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Wow, what a fantastic harp collection! I like the green and gold (correct me if I’m wrong) stripes – those are Baylor colors! And your Wurlitzer is beautiful! If I was to get a gold harp, that would be it. You did say you are selling it…too bad that’s probably way out of my price range!

    By the way, are you planning to see Emmanuel Ceysson in El Paso in April? I think I’m going to come home for that concert. They’re also doing Prelude à l’àpres-midi d’un faune and Ravel’s La Valse. Should be a great concert, the new harpist, Grace Cloutier, is stellar. Merry Christmas!

    in reply to: Harp in the Public School Curriculum #86973
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    you bring up a very interesting point, and one that I’ve thought a lot about, especially since I am a music education major (though harp is not my major instrument). I come from a place where there are no harpists, no harp teachers, no harps. I had to wait until I got to college to learn, and I’ve had to ‘catch up’ in a sense. I wish I could have had more exposure to the harp earlier on. I know of a teacher (I can’t recall her name), who has a very large harp program in the Odessa, TX schools. She starts younger students on lever harp, and the older students move up to pedal harp. She works for the school district, I believe. They own several harps, and I have heard their high school harp ensemble play. There are many school districts who will hire private teachers like her, especially in Texas.

    When it comes to music education students learning harp and learning to teach it, I think it is a completely different situation. I took up harp because I wanted to, and I love it and would change my major if I could! But, as instrumental music education

    in reply to: Jingle Bells #163762
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    That’s wonderful…that’s the kind of thing that reminds us why we work so hard to make music.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165591
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    I was thinking more of the flute-harp duos that play for weddings and gigs, not so much in the concert and recital vein. I think harp could be used more often as an accompanimental instrument like piano, especially for instruments like flute or viola or oboe, which can be covered by the piano at times.

    Harp, marimba, trumpet, and bass clarinet? Sounds kind of interesting to me, actually 🙂 I play the bass clarinet quite a lot, so I’m partial to the instrument. Not the trumpet so much, but I’ve wondered what kind of combination harp and trumpet make. If there is some good (and not terribly difficult) trumpet/harp music out there, I would be interested in it, primarily for church. I also have a friend whose wedding I’m playing at in March, and he has a couple trumpet players playing for the wedding as well.

    I would love to see a male harp duo or ensemble, and I definitely want to start a duo of my own when I have the ability to do so and can find another male harpist with whom I would like to play. And on a side note…I was amazed when I watched a video of our harp ensemble playing how nice it looks when we all raise together – it was really neat to see that.

    in reply to: Any male harpists in here? #165586
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Actually, I’ve heard that ebony harps are easier to touch up, because there is no wood grain visible, and since pianos are finished the same way, someone with experience refinishing pianos could refinish a harp. I actually do know a harpist who has done this with an ebony harp. I would agree, though, that if there’s a ding or scratch, it’s kind of obvious because of the difference in the color of the natural wood and the black finish. I play an ebony Salvi Diana at church, and the few knicks it has (I’m amazed the harp is in such good cosmetic condition) are pretty obvious. Fortunately, the’re mostly on the base, so no one can really see that. I could be wrong about the finish, though.

    And I, too, am a male harpist, 21, and in year three of study. I have never really encountered any negativity when I play for people, though now and then I get questions like, ‘Isn’t it unusual for guys to play harp?’ Mostly people are too awestruck by the instrument – especially little kids! My ideal harp would be a Salzedo, and also a 23 (the flowery style has grown on me – no pun intended – since I play a 23 at school) or 17, and the 100 in mahogany or walnut. I wish I could get a 23 or Salzedo in ‘old maple’ finish, like the color the wood eventually turns after a few years. My teacher’s Salzedo is a gorgeous color, it’s one of the original 50 I think. For now I play on what I can, and wish for a harp of my own…

    I think it would be kind of cool to form a duo or trio with an odd instrumentation – especially a female trombonist, or another male harpist. I think the flute+harp thing is kind of old, though it is very nice. Harp I think also works well with cello, oboe, maybe horn, violin or viola and definitely clarinet. How about a jazz combo of harp, tuba, violin and drums? That would be a hoot. I want to try it sometime…I think it would be perfectly suited to ragtime. Anyhow, enough of my rambling! 🙂

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86645
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    I think you hit the nail on the head, Virginia. Everyone has the right to make their own choices, but it is definitely not superficial or shallow.

    Elizabeth – I love the thought of walking through a department store to see someone ‘air-harping’! I guess some people may not quite understand, but that’s the kind of thing we do to play the harp…

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86756
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    yes, I’m referring to the piece by Michael Daugherty, thanks Julie. I know Grofé wrote a Grand Canyon Suite, so it makes sense that he would write a piece about Niagara Falls.

    in reply to: That first inspiring work…. #86753
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    well, I can’t even remember when I first learned about the harp…but the pieces that stand out to me before I ever even saw a harp in person were En Bateau (orchestral version), and Capriccio Espagnole…and this might be kind of weird, but there is a piece for wind ensemble, Niagara Falls, that has a big showy harp solo with arpeggios and crazy glissandi – I still want to play that piece on harp (our wind ensemble did it last year, but I played clarinet). The piece itself is kind of cheesy, though. But fun.

    The first time I heard the Debussy Danses and Scintillation by Salzedo, I was amazed, and I knew I wanted to do that some day. And since then, I’ve been trying to listen to everything ever written for harp, and trying to learn what I can!

    in reply to: The logic behind pedal order? #87058
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Great advice, Barbara and Mary. I actually had a ‘coaching’ on some orchestra music Saturday, and I was told to move pedals in pairs, but not in any certain order (as in inward or outward). However, before rehearsal this evening, when I marked all my pedal changes and highlighted them (like a good harpist), I notated them so that I would remember to start from the outside and move inward. It really is helpful, and it’s easier to feel my way around the pedals and distinguish them from each other that way.

    I also discovered that I move different pairs depending on what direction a given pedal is going – I don’t like to sharp one and natural(ize?) another at the same time, because I’m afraid I’ll sharp both or otherwise be confused. But I usually move A and D together, then G and C. I move F by itself, as it tends to be the odd one out. I move B and E together, too. It’s amazing what a difference a logical pedal process makes – when I practice, I have all sorts of time and no one watching, so I’m checking them over and over, but in rehearsal, and with as nervous as I was, following a pattern means I have the right pedals whether I know it or not! What a relief…now I have to go practice the 10 pieces I have to play…agh!

    in reply to: Fashion Sense #86631
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Ro,
    I do agree with you…my teacher doesn’t care so much about lesson attire, other than footwear, but she feels that we should present ourselves in the best way possible for performances, and she feels pants are not the best thing for female harpists to wear in performance. That’s not to say I agree, but I’m not the teacher, and I’m not a girl.

    I was taught to balance the harp on my shoulder, and that I didn’t need to use my knees but I could; we only talked about that once. I think I just sat down with the harp and felt totally comfortable! I will be cautious about that when I get my own harp, so I can keep it nice and shiny. Actually, today I spoke to harpist friend of mine who suggested that in order to play left hand in the upper octaves without strangling myself, I could hold the harp with my knee and sort of lean back – it was so helpful! Looks much better than ducking out of the way while playing…

    When I went to a friend’s harp recital, I was afraid she was going to snag her dress while moving pedals, but she managed that big flowy dress very well, somehow. And I agree with Saul, why would women want to wear pants when they have so many choices of color, style, texture, etc. in dresses! We have blue, brown, grey, and black pants (sometimes other strange colors…). No fair!

    I’m surprised at how much conversation there is on this topic! I hope my posts didn’t stir things up any, I’m just stating what I know, which of course is limited.

    in reply to: One simple question #87048
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Yes, you are completely right – I think he can use those sections of the Danses as an example of sort of the technical limit regarding repeated notes. It’s a great piece for anyone to hear, though.

    At the same time, repeated notes that do not necessarily ring for their natural duration can have a particular effect, like David Ice refers to. My first harp composition employs repeated notes this way, where they sound a little buzzy and nasty. It helps dispel the idea that harps are for angels 🙂

    Danilo, I will be glad to send you those things, as well as a recording – it may take some time, though, with school and all. I’ll get to work on it!

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111965
    vincent-pierce
    Participant

    Excuse me, that is totally unnecessary. We are here to help each other, not criticize each other unjustly. You might call him a poor musician, but you are just plain rude. Please stay away from the forums if you have nothing to contribute. I would not consider hiring you for anything with that attitude, even if you were the best harpist I had ever heard. Let’s be adults and respect each other, please.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)