harpcolumn

Music Education Association —

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Music Education Association —

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Trista Hill
    Spectator

I have a harp student who is entering the local Music Education Association’s performance program in February.

unknown-user
    Participant

What sort of list do they have, if they have one?

unknown-user
    Participant

There are advanced lever harp original solos, not a lot, perhaps, but at least several. Please show what falls into what levels, and what association you are referrring to.

If you are talking about the solo & ensemble festival, you should call the local chapter’s chairman and ask what would be allowed. They will often substitute other pieces in place of what is on the approved list of selections……but……it might be that only pedal harpists are expected to participate so I would definitely call and find out. If she is doing this through her school’s membership in the organization then she should ask the orchestra teacher who to contact.

vince-pierce
    Participant

Perhaps some of the Grandjany pieces, like Three Easy Pieces or Pastorale.

carl-swanson
    Participant

It sounds like you may have to prod them to create a lever harp division. It would be unfair if she had to compete with pedal harpists.

If it is a typical solo & ensemble festival, there is no competition other than with yourself. You are performing for a rating individually in a closed room with an adjudicator.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Oh. I thought it was some kind of competition. Thanks for the clarification.

The Syllabus for the Royal Conservatory of Music has the pieces for lever harp marked with an asterisk in their lists of repertoire. (A new one is being published

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies