unknown-user

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,411 through 1,425 (of 5,570 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The lesson scam again! #86664
    unknown-user
    Participant

    If they are from a yahoo account, I always forward them to abuse@yahoo.com, so they can close the account.

    in reply to: NJ/PA Colleges with harp major? #86675
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Several of those have no harp program, despite active music departments, as far as I know.

    in reply to: Music you personally dislike, but still respect #110746
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I find many of Bartok’s works to be harsh and grating, but I grudgingly respect them as I deeply love his other works, the same for Janacek. I do not respect the minimalist composers. I grudgingly respect Robert Moran, the most musical of them, for his music has quality and he writes for the harp.

    I do respect Paul Turok, whose harp concerto left me wanting to hear it again, a very rare occurence with contemporary music. I think more people should play it, definitely.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102809
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Sorry, I don’t buy any of it. The “hostility” you are reading here is the direct result of enduring hours of experimental, conceptual “music” that contains little or no actual music. It has nothing to do with “accessibility.” We can listen to a beautiful composer like Hans Werner Henze, or even abstract constructors of music like Andrzej Panufnik (Universal Prayer), or the music of Ami Maayani. As a composer, I utterly reject the notion that composers have to be driven to write about nonmusical subjects. Music expresses an entire universe in the simplest of language, if you have the mastery to write it. What really makes me sad is when conceptual “artists” gobble up the limited grant money to create what are little more than exalted school show-and-tell projects, perhaps an American genre of education, not necessarily applying to you.

    “Write what you know, write today’s music”, are two useless canards that have been used by the uninspired to write gobs of musical gook, in my view. To me, music is timeless, and has nothing to do with industrial-age, post-industrial notions of

    in reply to: Harp Programs at UC Schools? #162695
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I guess it’s not UC, but you won’t find a better teacher than Karen Thielen, who is on the faculty of San Jose State University.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102807
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I am JacobTV, aka Jacob Ter Veldhuis, the composer whose work Cites Change The Songs Of Birds was premiered during the World Harp Congress in Amsterdam last July, causing such a ‘scandal’ that harpist Lavinia Meijer and I are now accused of musical terrorism. Although I cannot take this accusation seriously, I am surprised about this hostile response. The last thing we musicians want, is to terrorize our audience, let alone a whole nation as Ms Elarte suggests…

    in reply to: Humidity Strips #162684
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Just heard from Carl Swanson (please see thread in the harps and accessories forum – heading = A Guide for Harpists) about dampits.. Anyone interested might want to jump over to that thread.. Kind regards – William

    in reply to: Humidity Strips #162683
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello Briggsie – I was thinking of purchasing a dampit – and did a search on dampit in harpcolumn – and your statement in this thread

    in reply to: Stoney End Braunwen #162470
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, I’m gonna go with the cherry. I’ve asked them to do some engraving of ivy on it too. I’m very excited! They are such friendly people and very helpful.

    in reply to: Photos from Ireland #162580
    unknown-user
    Participant

    How amazing…looks like the trip of a lifetime…I would love to go to just ONE of those areas! Looks like you had wonderful weather too, especially good for great pictures. Thanks for sharing…I’m inspired!

    in reply to: Photos from Ireland #162578
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Lovely pictures…how lucky you are to have been there.

    in reply to: Musical Terrorism #102805
    unknown-user
    Participant

    This is the “funny” piece of which I was speaking. I believe there’s also a second page, and I don’t believe it really sounds as it should without it!

    in reply to: how to direct a harp ensemble #86668
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Well, the bull whip and cattle prod are probably good ideas.

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 or Lyon and Healy 85P #161475
    unknown-user
    Participant

    Hello everybody, I own one of each: Daphne and Petite. They differ very little, but to me Salvi’s base strings sound a bit deeper, whereas L&H feels easier to play. I’m originally from the (Ukraine) late Soviet Union, graduated as a violinist. My harp experience is only nine years.

    Either of my harps is for sale to the highest bidder.

    Thank you.

    in reply to: What’s your favorite lever harp music? #162566
    unknown-user
    Participant

    I second Laura Zaerr’s music. I find it to be rhythmically and harmonically

Viewing 15 posts - 1,411 through 1,425 (of 5,570 total)