Tacye

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 1,469 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68371
    Tacye
    Participant

    May I point out that Kimberly is the moderator and she has already asked us to stay on topic…

    More or less on topic didn’t Stephanie Bennett have photos taken playing a pedal harp underwater?

    in reply to: Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon! #68369
    Tacye
    Participant

    Now I have a PhD in breaking things… Carbon fibre is strong in tension, but lousy in compression; you wouldn’t, after all apply compression to any other fibre and expect it not to bend.

    in reply to: Newbie to the harp world! #163930
    Tacye
    Participant

    Becky, what you can do now is start teaching yourself that music theory, reading music (tapping rhythms, ideally sight singing, treble and base clef, chords etc) etc.

    in reply to: Newbie to the harp world! #163925
    Tacye
    Participant

    Becky, I agree, teacher first and then rent, or your teacher may even know a good second hand harp in your area which, with care in the purchase, is another way of getting more harp for your money.

    in reply to: how long to learn music and then some #87579
    Tacye
    Participant

    Assuming her parents are paying for the lessons I would consider, with her knowledge, sending a note home pointing out how much more value for money they get when she practices well.

    in reply to: A question regarding a song I am teaching myself #87794
    Tacye
    Participant

    Therefore…

    in reply to: A question regarding a song I am teaching myself #87792
    Tacye
    Participant

    Do you play either of those strings in the piece except when playing the glissandi?

    in reply to: Clunkers we have known and loved…. #107567
    Tacye
    Participant

    As with so many people in the UK I started playing the harp because of an Erard.

    in reply to: Cheap pedal harps? #68475
    Tacye
    Participant

    Katherine- really interesting to see what has happened to the
    Lunacharskii factory- but I find any maker of pedal harps stating that
    ‘harps have a lifetime of 7 to 10 years’ rather worrying.

    in reply to: Sitting at the balancing point of the harp…. #87874
    Tacye
    Participant

    Rosemary, I am interested that you say knee in the singular.

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87769
    Tacye
    Participant

    Bernhard,
    You are of course correct that the first harmonic played as a harmonic is likely to be quieter than the first overtone component of a normally plucked string and lack the increased tension on the string caused by the fundamental sounding.

    in reply to: Teaching students to tune #87766
    Tacye
    Participant
    Sometimes I tune the bass by playing harmonics instead of natural notes- this will automatically stretch the tuning by the right amount as what you want is for the octaves to ring perfectly i.e. for the harmonic of the lower note to be the same
    in reply to: Advice for a beginning teacher? #87640
    Tacye
    Participant

    I would advise you not to underestimate the utility of a pupil’s parents.

    in reply to: Erard Harp with Original Wooden Shipping Case #71366
    Tacye
    Participant

    Was it made by Erard Paris or London?

    in reply to: rolling chords rhythmically #87998
    Tacye
    Participant

    While ending chords on the beat is perhaps a good default starting position flexibility in approach has its advantages.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 1,469 total)