harpcolumn

Sitting at the balancing point of the harp….

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Sitting at the balancing point of the harp….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve had quite a few students come to me lately, that have not had explained to them about sitting at the natural balancing point of the harp. And a few of them were even advanced students. They were mystified when I showed them that the harp when tilted back, balances quite naturally at a certain point, and this is where you should try and sit at, stabilising and taking whatever weight remains on your knee.

I’m mystified that so many harpists do not seem aware of this and are taking the full weight on their shoulder, or full weight on their knee. Although some have been told to offset the weight on the knee, taking the full weight of the instrument does tend to cause you to twist your lower back and cause problems in time. And well, we all know taking the full weight on your shoulder is

andy-b
    Participant

Speaking only from a student’s point of view here – (I’m certainly not qualified to teach!) I would have to say that it’s also important for a teacher to make sure that the student is sitting at the balancing point and maintaining proper posture for their own harp and the harp stool they practice on – not just the teacher’s harp that they use once a week or so at lesson time!

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks for that Andy. You are so right. That might be part of what the problem has been with these pupils I have been coming across lately. I will definitely insist on seeing them on their harps with their chairs as well. I have always insisted that they bring their harps occassionally for me to check

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m a student too, and I was instructed in the first lesson to balance the harp.

Excellent point, Andy! Another thing to watch for is good lighting at the student’s home.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thanks everyone for this feedback. I’m glad to hear that I’m not just a fanatic and that other teachers are teaching the importance of this also. It’s great to do a reality check sometimes. And I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

I never thought of checking the lighting, that is a great tip. I must do more “home visits” I think…

Tacye
    Participant

Rosemary, I am interested that you say knee in the singular.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Tacye,

Yes, I know what you mean. I was taught right knee only for postural reasons, but it can have the opposite effect, and encourage a twist in the lower back if you are not careful, as you have pressure on one side of the body and not the other. Especially if the harp slips off the balancing point, and you end up taking too much weight on one knee. So, it is something you have to watch.

I have experimented with both knees, and also tilting back (which I was taught was a “no no”). The reason I was told not both knees, was for posture, you can twist around with your upper body if your

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies