harpcolumn

Cheap pedal harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Cheap pedal harps?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

For years I’ve dreamed of playing the pedal harp. But I live on a very limited-limited budget and am unable to buy pedal harps at ridiclous prices like the ones Lyon and Healy have their harps sold for. I would like to know, are there any programs or shops out there that let you buy pedal harps at a very, very, very, VERY

cheap price? If there is, please let me know!

Thanks a lot!

Sherry Konkus

unknown-user
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, how much are you budgeting for the purchase of a pedal harp?

unknown-user
    Participant

What I am doing is I’m raising funds to earn money to buy a pedal harp. My goal is set between $10,000 and $20,000. I have no ideal how much money I got in my funds right now but when I gathered up all of the money to put in the bank I will know how much. I also heard of pedal harps that cost about $5,000 or less depending on the condition of the instrument. I’d would rather settled on the pedal harp that’s cheap and in the most excellent condition possible. I hope this helps.

Sherry K.

kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

Sherry: I think you can certainly find a good new pedal harp between $10,000 and $20,000 from Lyon & Healy or any other company. $5,000 is a bit low for a new harp. You might find something used at that price, but probably not in very good condition. My advice would be to get a better feel for what your options are by requesting price lists and catalogs from the pedal harp companies. There are links to most companies on the “Classified Ads” page on this site. I think you’ll be pleased to find that there is a lot available in your price range. Good luck!

unknown-user
    Participant

A harpist friend of mine and I always say “Playing the harp is not a low budget activity!”

Denise Grupp

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes! Now I’m Convinced. There’s no way to get a pedal harp at a very cheap price under $5,000 unless a miracle from God comes along that makes it all possible. Right now I’ll see to raising about $10,000 to $20,000 to buy the pedal harp. Thanks for your help!

Sherry Konkus

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m assuming you’ve never played a harp……the 36 string celtic harps are very affordable to get started on.. If you really gotta have
    a pedal harp you’ll find a way…..I know a gal who collected pop cans for their deposit money and scrap weight…..and she was able to get a Venus Classic…..no “cheap” instrument it….she had a goal and met it….. I guess the bottom line is just how bad do you want one???????
    I cashed in a small insurance policy {Burial Fund) to buy mine…..figured I rather have this luxury alive and my kids can sell it when I’m gone ……and it won’t be “Cheap”……….

unknown-user
    Participant

The Harp Connection (www.harpconnection.com) has a rent-to-own program.

unknown-user
    Participant

Cheap pedal harp?

unknown-user
    Participant

I’ve had a Lyon&Healy 85P for about 8 months.

unknown-user
    Participant

What about the harps from Webster’s String Instruments? I’m by no means an expert in these matters, but it would seem that they have a decent selection of 40 string pedal harps in the $3,000-$5,000 range!

Regards,

MJW

unknown-user
    Participant

There is no such thing as a ‘cheap’ pedal harp that’s in good condition. You can get a brand new semi-grand pedal harp for under $10,000…check out Venus harps website.

unknown-user
    Participant

Seems to be a cultural thing that people always trade pedal harps for at least $12k in cash money … so being a harpist it seems useful to pick a lifestyle which brings in a lot of cash money.

But harps are different than cars.

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, you’ve probably found out that harping is a pricey industry. But, I’f your looking for a harp between 10000- 20000 buckarinos, I’d recommend the Daphne 47 Ex. It is the most satifying intrument to me- and is the cheapest concert grand extended soundboard of Lyon healy and Salvi. But, you could always go lower on the “Daphne” scale- there’s aout 4 of them ranging in price from about $8,500 (Daphne 40) to $14,500 (Daphne 47 ex)

unknown-user
    Participant

It’s been several years since I post this. But guess what at this time I’m doing a rent to own program from a place in Clawson,Mi called the Michigan harp Center. And on August 16, 2002 I’ve finally been blessed with a Lyin & Healy style 15 Harp I named Gilligan. That’s almost 2 years ago and lately I’ve Found out that the rent to own contract is about to expired next month. Because the harp also has many defects like the unplesant buzzing sounds, clicking sounds in the pedals and the creaky sounds the the pegs made when I tune the wire strings. I’m afraid that I have no choice but to take him back and get another harp that has no defects in it at all. Kelly tried her best to get the screws tighten in the harp and getting the help she needs that she spent the whole year trying to fix the problem. And your right. There is no such thing as a cheap pedal harp. In fact I’ve been eyeballing the $12,000 Venus Encore harp for a long while. and I think I heard that venus harps are one of the best around am I right? I’ve discovered Venus Harps a long time ago on the internet when I’ve been browsing around for harps and really love their stuff. I guess I better work on putting money away towards that harp. Thanks for all of your input!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics