harpcolumn

getting a piece up to speed

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists getting a piece up to speed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bob-miller
    Participant

How do you get a piece, especially a long one, up to speed once you have learned all the notes and the piece is memorized? Do you break the piece up into little sections and work on them daily increasing the metronome little by little or do you have an alternate method? Certain sections are always easier and it seems unnecessary to play them daily, but then how often? And how often do you run through the whole piece at a comfortable speed?

Kathleen Clark
    Participant

What I do, and have done with a ten-page piece like Hasselmans’ “La Source” for example, is to find a metronome speed I can play the most difficult section with and then play the whole piece at that speed. I always practice the difficult sections by themselves more than the others. As your speed for that difficult section increases then your whole piece speeds up too.

If it is a piece like “La Source” I always run through the whole thing at least once a day. I use it as my “warm up” piece because I always want to have it ready to play for people. I want to be able to sit down and play it “cold” with as little warmup as possible for situations like guests.

andy-b
    Participant

That makes a lot of sense, Kathleen, I’m definitely going to try your approach on

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Kathleen’s method demonstrates the real reason for using a metronome. Also, Kathleen, your description was both interesting and enlightening. Well done!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

To add to what Kathleen says, it’s import not to pick a comfortable speed always. You also need sometimes to pick a speed that is *slower* than you can comfortably play it. Then you can’t rely on muscle memory to scoot you over the parts you don’t really know.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

import=important

(I wish we could edit here)

Kathleen Clark
    Participant

What Barbara says is important. Comfortable is not the same as slow. Alfredo Ortiz uses the word “slowerly” meaning slower than comfortable, slow enough to block place and squeeze the chord placements into muscle memory.

What I’ve found over time is that if I am having trouble with a piece this is usually the cure. In addtion to block placement, one of my problems is even tone. My teacher is a real stickler for this. I think I’m playing something beautifully and then he points out that my third finger is fading away and not playing an even tone with the rest of my fingers. Happens a lot on John Thomas’ “Minstrel’s Adieu” for me. I’ve had that memorized for awhile now but am still working on getting an even tone on all my fingers. Lots of metronoming and block placing “slowerly” on that one for me still. My teacher is picky, but, hey, that’s what I pay him the big bucks for! He’s worth every penny!

Love how Barbara uses the word “scoot.” Sounds like something I would do…I’m so baaad…Time to scoot, y’all,….heh, heh

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies