Ever have one of those really terrific harpy epiphanies?

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #164544

My all-time favorite air is “Llwyn Onn”…otherwise known as “The Ash Grove.”

Participant
    Jerusha Amado on #164545

Audrey,

What a wonderful story!

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #164546

I love your post! I’ve been having trouble with baby two hands together things like Silent Night and pieces from the beginning of Suzuki 1. They are nourishing, beets and squash, and necessary, like medicine, but after I practice them and do my best to play steadily and v-e-r-y slowly, I spend a few minutes improvising. When I do so, I can play Silent Night just fine. It’s great to know that someone else has experienced this.

I love working on Grossi and I understand the absolute necessity for the method book pieces, but most of all I just love to play my harp!

Participant
    unknown-user on #164547

You know Audrey, you are really a very lucky and intensely musical person. As you can have a lifetime of playing as

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #164548

I have to say that the concept of “placing” has just jumped out and hit me in the head. Don’t expect that it happens for eveyone that way but it’s making practicing much more fun. I just practiced for 1 1/4 hours, and hardly felt as though I’d been at it for 5 minutes. Much more fun than ever. Where have I been for the last &$(*%& years?

kay-lister on #164549

GO SHERRY – Isn’t it great when something clicks?

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #164550

Kay I can’t WAIT to be able to play Barbara Brundage’s music! Harmonics, huh? I’m really feeling your natural high! (with r-e-a-l-l-y broad smile)! Sherry R.

Participant
    Elizabeth Volpé Bligh on #164551

My favourite “harpy epiphany” came about when I discovered that my harmonics came out like bells when I came off the string before playing them. You leave your thumb on, of course, but you back away from the string and then flick your wrist, and you get the most beautiful harmonics! This works especially well in the upper register.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.